door panel removal '85 grand marquis CP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

door panel removal '85 grand marquis CP

just picked up a colony park... haven't found a local shop yet which stocks the chilton manual so hoping someone here can help.

first order of business-- can't open the driver door from outside ; guessing the rod is disconnected. how do i remove the door panel so i can attempt to fix this?

thanks in advance.

Take off the bottom cover of the armrest, 4 screws on the bottom, and 1 or 2 more scattered around. Also take out the screw that holds down the window switches, and pull it up. Then take out all the bolts that hold the armrest itself on, and move it out of the way. The rest of the door panel is just held on my clips. Carefully pry it out, and then lift the whole thing over the window channel.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Take off the bottom cover of the armrest, 4 screws on the bottom, and 1 or 2 more scattered around. Also take out the screw that holds down the window switches, and pull it up. Then take out all the bolts that hold the armrest itself on, and move it out of the way. The rest of the door panel is just held on my clips. Carefully pry it out, and then lift the whole thing over the window channel.
      x2 I use a screw driver and try to pop each one of the clips between the door and the door panel. They also have a tool for this... not sure if they have it at autozone or not. You just want to take your time here.

When I put the armrest back on the bolts are hard to get back in there. I use some rubber eraser in the end of my socket to hold on to the bolt.

You mind want to take out your power window motor at this time and check the bushings so you don't have to take the panel off again in the near future...

Isaiah

Comment

the rod may have poped out due to seized power lock actuator. if it is, when someone tried pulling up on the handle with the lock in a seized position causing to bend the rod. easy fix. remove the crappy lock actuator and bend back the rod

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

thanks, all...

i was able to get the panel off, however, i've currently got a cast on my right hand () so wasn't able to reach in the door opening to get to the rod behind the glass.

is there a trick to this (once i can reach it), or do you just bend and unbend to get it back in place on the handle?

marquisman, you may be right-- the seller said something about the lock on that door acting up (before the rod came off).

ford man, what would i be checking for on the motor? i did run some bearing grease along the channel and the window rod/guide since i had it apart.

guess now would be the time to drop new speakers in, too.

merry christmas.

Comment

The window motor has three nylon bushings inside that disentegrate over time. All the sudden your window wont work. Easy job to do if you've done it before. You might want to do a search for window motor threads to get all the specific info because I don't know how to link it for you. My car has 56k original miles and I have done window motor bushings in 3 doors and now the 4th door needs to be done now

Merry Christmas mang.

Comment

The rod for the handle should go into place easily if the actuator is working properly. Shouldn't need too much force to get that rod on the handle. Dont want to bend things to much, may end up fatiguing it once everything is put back together. There should also be a bushing in the handle where it receives the rod. Make sure the that is there.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
              X