Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump

I need to pickup a new fuel pump for my Merk, its running out of fuel in the upper rpms and has trouble under load as well. I'm thinking some kind of mustang pump is in order just need to know if it requires any modification and what part number to look for. I'm thinking something in the 110-155lph range. Wheres a good place to buy one too?

A stock stang pump from advance auto is $80, I read it flows 88lph over on corral. Just trying to see if I can get a better deal than that.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

You can get a 110 from most mustang places for about the same. A 110 is more than enough for most of us. That's what I was running in my old 87.

yes, a bit of modification is needed. Some trimming and hose clamps should fix it. The mustang pump is like 1/2 the diameter of the panthers.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ebay has lots check em out

Comment

Nitroracer, can you document everything you do to make the Mustang pump work in a Panther fuel tank? I want/need to do this swap too, but I was just going to send my car to a shop and them figure it out.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
          yes, a bit of modification is needed. Some trimming and hose clamps should fix it. The mustang pump is like 1/2 the diameter of the panthers.
          The later panthers might be different. The fuel pump on my aunt's old 91 Grand Marquis was the same dimensionally as a BBK 155lph Mustang pump.

Tom

Comment

I never personally installed a fuel pump on a panther chassis, but my understanding is the Mustang pump will interchange.

This just the pump itself, The 190LPH pump assembly that has the pump and sending unit for the FOX body will NOT work with out some serious modifications.

this is the pump I was considering

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Isn't the stock panther pump a 65lph unit and the Mustang pump is a 88lph unit? So a 110lph pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator should work on a 5.0L panther?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
              5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

an adjustable reg is NOT needed...waste of money. The reason a higher volume pump is needed is because the stock pump cannot maintain the needed stock pressure. There is no reason to raise or lower the pressure.

Hmm, might need to go find some 91 bracketry...my 87 and 89 were the same...the tanks are prolly the same in the 92+ also...hmmm....
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                X