PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Double din or not?

Locked and Loaded, ready for the rebellion. RugerP97DC's Avatar

Default Double din or not?

Arent the radios in 06+ panthers DD size? I dont want to put a D radio and stupid looking adapter into my car..

All of the on-line stores say they dont, but they match a DD radio in size! WTF??
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

I'm pretty sure I've seen aftermarket head units in DD and DIN-and-a-half sizes ......
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Crutchfield says Ford screwed up with the mounting points. Modifications are necessary according to them, and no one makes an adapter kit.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

you can put in a dd in your car but you have to cut ac ducts shitty i doing it this weekend. i going to cut a section out then flip over and tape back in with constuction grade duct tape
    2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
    Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
    20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
    In dash 7" touch screen

Cutting ducts??? WTF?

He's talking about the defroster duct, which is known for getting in the way of full 2-DIN head units in these cars as it cuts off to about 1.5-DIN size on the inside of the dash, hence the slope on the back of factory 2-DIN units to accommodate the duct, and why people call them 1.5-DIN units.

Maybe it's different for GMQs but on Crown Vics that are 03(and some of the last 02s) and later, the defroster duct was revised NOT to have this slope, so a real full 2-DIN unit could actually be fitted in place of the factory one, like you want. If I understood what you are saying right, a lot of the companies you looked for radios at either didn't take notice of this, or they're playing it safe by saying that yours only fits a certain size so they don't get complaints from other Panther-platform customers that have no idea which duct they have.

I would be very surprised if they didn't update the ducts for GMQs of the same year though, so yours should have the newer duct. All you have to do to know for sure if you have it or not is to take out the factory head unit and check the ceiling of the radio cavity; if you have the old duct, it will have a slight downward hill as it goes backwards a few inches in, if you have the current duct, then it should be flat all the way back.

The part number for the 03+ duct is: 3W7Z-18D453-AA

It's a direct drop-in replacement for the older duct so you won't have to drill or cut or melt or weld anything, it all just swaps right in place of the old one. A Google search has led me to only one place that sells it though:

http://www.carpartsestore.com/prodde...3W7Z-18D453-AA

You could also cut or heat up and warp the part to shape, but you can end up with holes or an overheating head unit or an improperly functioning window defroster vent if done wrong.

I also need this part, and I agree, the little 1-DIN set-ups look like shit and the front of the dash is already big enough to fit a full 2-DIN unit, it's just the stupid ass duct that gets in the way in the back. And I LOVE your signature quote btw, lol
    Last edited by j5689; 01-18-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

^^^^^ Interesting info, there.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Gathered all of it from lurking on CVN at some point in the past two or three months, much like the rest of my knowledge. I'm surprised more people didn't know about it here, although the majority of people here seem to have Box-bodies which I don't think can accommodate 2-DIN at all, so it would actually make sense.

Hopefully the OP comes back to see it
    Last edited by j5689; 01-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.

I had to do some cutting to put my Eclipse DD in my car. My dremel slipped and gouged my trim a bit

It looks alright. Pain in my ass, though.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

That was for your 09 Marquis from your sig?

Now I'm really wondering if they ever gave GMQs the revised ducts or if they just went to some new stupid design or reverted back to the old one on the very recent models.

so this duct will work in an 01 mgm
    2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
    Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
    20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
    In dash 7" touch screen

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmerc01 View Post
    so this duct will work in an 01 mgm
    It should, this guy seems to have done it and he has a 99 which is the same generation.

Also accord to this thread, there's another place you can buy it from that they seem to use on CVN, other than that no-name looking place I found:

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...page=0&rcatid=

so in the 2009 + models we should be able to fit a double din unit? i've been pondering this since i bought the car.

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

It would be best to slide yours out and see. It's easy, you just need the special tools.

I know this thread is old but I have been pondering putting a double din in my 2000 Townie. I know it can be done because I've seen quite a few on car domain. And I've read of the same vent issue. Anyone know if I can use the newer vent ducts from the CV/GMQ or if I can use the newer ducts from an 03 and up Townie? Or is cutting or heat gunning my only option?

I can go single din, but I'm not sure how ill like the look of the pocket or empty space that comes with the single din dash kits.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

The problem with the aero and early whale dash, its not a true double din. So, the 2-din head units fit weird. This is why I don't think I will ever go with the 2-din. Also, I don't think the whale dashes are the same.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302 special blend (GMGT)- Summer fun
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 302 (Errand runner) Summer fun
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4.6L (Hustler) Summer Sunday cruiser
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4.6L (Un-named) Daily

Yeah that's true most I have seen do fit a little weird. I wouldn't mind going single din, in fact I'm really liking the Pioneer 8400BH but I cant get a good picture of the dash kit, I cant tell if the pocket is tapered or not. Did you use a dash kit with a pocket on your 97?

This is the one Crutchfield will throw in for free if i get said pioneer unit
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003FMK5...eiver-Kit.html
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

I did use a dash kit with my pioneer 9400BH. Need to make a small cut here and there in the radio area because, the new head unit and USB cable is longer than the original. If your not plugging in a USB cable in the back of the new deck, you should not have any issues.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302 special blend (GMGT)- Summer fun
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 302 (Errand runner) Summer fun
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4.6L (Hustler) Summer Sunday cruiser
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4.6L (Un-named) Daily