Double din or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double din or not?

Arent the radios in 06+ panthers DD size? I dont want to put a D radio and stupid looking adapter into my car..

All of the on-line stores say they dont, but they match a DD radio in size! WTF??
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

I'm pretty sure I've seen aftermarket head units in DD and DIN-and-a-half sizes ......
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Crutchfield says Ford screwed up with the mounting points. Modifications are necessary according to them, and no one makes an adapter kit.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

you can put in a dd in your car but you have to cut ac ducts shitty i doing it this weekend. i going to cut a section out then flip over and tape back in with constuction grade duct tape
        2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
        Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
        20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
        In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Cutting ducts??? WTF?

Comment

He's talking about the defroster duct, which is known for getting in the way of full 2-DIN head units in these cars as it cuts off to about 1.5-DIN size on the inside of the dash, hence the slope on the back of factory 2-DIN units to accommodate the duct, and why people call them 1.5-DIN units.

Maybe it's different for GMQs but on Crown Vics that are 03(and some of the last 02s) and later, the defroster duct was revised NOT to have this slope, so a real full 2-DIN unit could actually be fitted in place of the factory one, like you want. If I understood what you are saying right, a lot of the companies you looked for radios at either didn't take notice of this, or they're playing it safe by saying that yours only fits a certain size so they don't get complaints from other Panther-platform customers that have no idea which duct they have.

I would be very surprised if they didn't update the ducts for GMQs of the same year though, so yours should have the newer duct. All you have to do to know for sure if you have it or not is to take out the factory head unit and check the ceiling of the radio cavity; if you have the old duct, it will have a slight downward hill as it goes backwards a few inches in, if you have the current duct, then it should be flat all the way back.

The part number for the 03+ duct is: 3W7Z-18D453-AA

It's a direct drop-in replacement for the older duct so you won't have to drill or cut or melt or weld anything, it all just swaps right in place of the old one. A Google search has led me to only one place that sells it though:

http://www.carpartsestore.com/prodde...3W7Z-18D453-AA

You could also cut or heat up and warp the part to shape, but you can end up with holes or an overheating head unit or an improperly functioning window defroster vent if done wrong.

I also need this part, and I agree, the little 1-DIN set-ups look like shit and the front of the dash is already big enough to fit a full 2-DIN unit, it's just the stupid ass duct that gets in the way in the back. And I LOVE your signature quote btw, lol
            Last edited by j5689; 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM.
            2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Comment

^^^^^ Interesting info, there.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Gathered all of it from lurking on CVN at some point in the past two or three months, much like the rest of my knowledge. I'm surprised more people didn't know about it here, although the majority of people here seem to have Box-bodies which I don't think can accommodate 2-DIN at all, so it would actually make sense.

Hopefully the OP comes back to see it
                Last edited by j5689; 01-20-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I had to do some cutting to put my Eclipse DD in my car. My dremel slipped and gouged my trim a bit

It looks alright. Pain in my ass, though.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That was for your 09 Marquis from your sig?

Now I'm really wondering if they ever gave GMQs the revised ducts or if they just went to some new stupid design or reverted back to the old one on the very recent models.

Comment

so this duct will work in an 01 mgm
                      2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
                      Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
                      20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
                      In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Originally posted by cleanmerc01 View Post
                        so this duct will work in an 01 mgm
                        It should, this guy seems to have done it and he has a 99 which is the same generation.

Also accord to this thread, there's another place you can buy it from that they seem to use on CVN, other than that no-name looking place I found:

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...page=0&rcatid=

Comment

so in the 2009 + models we should be able to fit a double din unit? i've been pondering this since i bought the car.

Comment

It would be best to slide yours out and see. It's easy, you just need the special tools.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I know this thread is old but I have been pondering putting a double din in my 2000 Townie. I know it can be done because I've seen quite a few on car domain. And I've read of the same vent issue. Anyone know if I can use the newer vent ducts from the CV/GMQ or if I can use the newer ducts from an 03 and up Townie? Or is cutting or heat gunning my only option?

I can go single din, but I'm not sure how ill like the look of the pocket or empty space that comes with the single din dash kits.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Working...
                              X