5.0 to 4.6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
    ...just letting you know the old pushrod 5.0 can more than hold thier own for not a bank breaking amount of money and time against a pretty decent 4.6.
    What year 4.6 is in your buddy's car?? The only engine mods you mentioned were headers and a "chip"... What "chip" in in his car? I have seen good chips added to Mustangs with a bad tune and they actually went slower than stock. That is why you need actual ETs and MPH for a relevant comparison.
    Last edited by Mercracer; 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j5689 View Post
      It's possible that I don't know what I'm talking about but it sounds like you described part of the J-Mod
      The J-Mod, isn't that the thing where there's no accumulator springs or something? I was told from a bunch of the old Ford Technicians at my school, that direct clutch failures were either due to the tv bushing failure, or the hole in the direct clutch for fluid was too small, causing a lack of lubrication.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        The J-Mod, isn't that the thing where there's no accumulator springs or something? I was told from a bunch of the old Ford Technicians at my school, that direct clutch failures were either due to the tv bushing failure, or the hole in the direct clutch for fluid was too small, causing a lack of lubrication.
        the jmod is only for electronically controlled transmissions.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I see.

Comment

its a 05 police interceptor that runs hard for a 4.6 and has headers, cold air, and a chip of some sort... i didn't buy the chip or tune the car, i just kno the guy. I will be sure to report my times when i go to the track. And yes my tranny slips so bad it shifts at 4000RPM but continues to rev up to 5000RPM while trying to grab. it's only got 50k on it and worked fine, just was meant for 150 hp, so the new built up one goes in in 1 month including a higher stall to go with it.

I just don't see why one would put a 4.6 into a box thats all... other than just doing it to have something different. Which is cool, i'm just throwing it out thier that more speed can be had for cheeper with a 5.0
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

a f/i modular in a box would be sweet.

not so much n/a

1994 MGM GS Montigua
              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                I just don't see why one would put a 4.6 into a box thats all... other than just doing it to have something different. Which is cool, i'm just throwing it out thier that more speed can be had for cheeper with a 5.0
                Having something different is what some people are all about. Doing it on the cheap is what a 5.0 is all about. The Ford 5.0 is the modern day SB Chevy.

Comment

a supercharged pi modular would be at 400hp on stock internals and a safe tune. thats fuckin awesome.

i love the pushrods and all, but ive got a soft spot for modulars.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I have made over 450HP on a cammed Explorer motor with N2O and I know of others who made over 500HP with a Paxton on a similar motor. NMRA Factory Stock Mustangs have dyno runs with over 350 FWHP using "unported" Explorer heads and Mustang "HO" cams.

Comment

doug vanstroms motor made something stupid like 600 HP on a 302 based motor, and that was without the nitrous
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

im vowing to drop a 4.6 liter in a box within the next 5 years.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                          Eh? That Continental have anything to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            Eh? That Continental have anything to do with it?
                            Now THAT would be bad as fuck. Do it with a Cobra 4V and spray it.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                              I was going to go 4.6 in my 91 but I have too many other very expensive parts to use up in builds first. Sometime this year I will pull the engine and tranny from my '02 and replace it with a pair which only has around 30,000 miles on it. This will leave me with an engine and tranny which I can play with and not feel bad if I lean on it and something breaks. I will likely pick up a Lentech valve body and converter along with a carb intake for the 4.6. I will then spray the hell out of it and see how quick I can make whatever vehicle it is in, go. This will still take a lower priority to placing a 429/460 in either my 91 or more likely a 98+ body. The ultimate P71 should have a 429PI motor....

Comment

Why would you put a carb on a 4.6? They don't make that much more power than the EFI. I personally wouldn't want an exposed flimsy belt driving the distributor.
                                Unless they've changed the design... idk

Comment

Working...
                                X