premium sound amp location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

premium sound amp location

factory service manual says my GM/CP w/ "premium sound" has an amp... but doesn't say where.

found this:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=premium+sound

...but not much else.

ideas?

Originally posted by sinistral View Post
    factory service manual says my GM/CP w/ "premium sound" has an amp... but doesn't say where.

found this:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=premium+sound

...but not much else.

ideas?
    premium sound wagons usually have them buried somewhere behind one of the back panels, or at least that what i am to understand
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

As I recall my wagon had it back in the spare tire compartment area.

Comment

My '79 wagon had a little electronic doohickey in the dash in the center-speaker position. Also had the weird underdash plunger switch that seems to be consistent with it having had premium sound. Had a regular analog/8-track headunit, though.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

mine is located in the center of the dash. clearly visible if you take the dash top off.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

what year wagon? the three areas they can be found?the football ones are under dash pad, in behind the stowage compartment on driver rear cargo area(depending on year). and the '88+ wagons with JBL premium sound, the black amp can be found in the spare tire compartment above the taillight area.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

thanks... i'll check the center of the dash ('85).

looks like both a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp were offered... guess i'll be able to tell by the number of outputs once i find the amp!

Comment

Mine is bolted to the D-pillar (rearmost pillar) in the spare tire compartment area. But mine's a 91. YMMV
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Mine's a '90: just where everyone else has already said, in that spare tire compartment, mounted on the pillar. It's a tiny little thing, just a few inches across, which fooled me at first.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    Mine's a '90: just where everyone else has already said, in that spare tire compartment, mounted on the pillar. It's a tiny little thing, just a few inches across, which fooled me at first.
                    hmmm... thought for sure it would be in the center of the dash, but alas, no...

i looked once in the spare tire compartment-- guess i'll need to look again.

Comment

in the rear stowage compartment mang. you will need to remove the whole side compartment to get at it. unless you can get it out though the little access pannel in the stowage compartment. i found mine there when i got the body work done on my 85 wagon. and it was rusted out lol

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                        in the rear stowage compartment mang. you will need to remove the whole side compartment to get at it. unless you can get it out though the little access pannel in the stowage compartment. i found mine there when i got the body work done on my 85 wagon. and it was rusted out lol
                        you mean driver side w/ the glove-box door? empty.

(oh wait, you mean unscrew/remove the entire hatch?)

Comment

yes sir! thats what i mean. acctually, its not that hard, just a few screws. the amp is under the plastic glove box. thats why you cant see it lol. stupid location, i know.

Comment

I've seen them in the spare tire well in junkyards.

Up to at least 1982 was the center dash amp. Probably moved about 1985 model year since that's the year they started doing away with the center dash grille (leftovers exist through 1986).
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

can't believe how much of this car i've got torn apart now...

anyway, think i've found the amp under the stowage compartment. btw, what is that small box that was bolted to the inside of the stowage compartment? 2 wires?

now to run new wires up to the head unit. fun fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X