PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: a/c blower motor only works on high??!!!

Default a/c blower motor only works on high??!!!

My blower motor for the a/c/heater/vent only works on high.

Thinking it was the switch I replaced the entire panel in the dash that has all the controls with one from a 2009 vic with only 35k miles...same deal...a/c only works on high.

I'm reading it could be some sort of resistor or something?? Any ideas where to find this so called resistor? This is driving me crazy...nothing like having full blast only on a climate control system.
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

blower motor resistor....it should be on the engine side of the firewall down around the evaporator housing heater core etc. on a 1991 or older i would say it's below the map sensor but i can't say for sure where it is on your car.
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom mobile - 3.0 Duratec - Daily Driver/Beater/Hauler of parts and contraband

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

chances are your blower speed resistor is fried. its located in the engine bay, on the firewall. pretty much by the pass side rocker cover. im sure someone here can post a pic.

1980 Lincoln Mark VI givenchy 2-Door 351W- SOLD
    1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302 special blend (GMGT)- Summer toy
    1985 Mercury Grandmarquis LS Colony Park 351W (juice box)- Winter DD/back up
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4.6L (Hustler)- Current summer DD
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/marquisman

blower motor resistor...possibly located below the blower motor underneath the hood on the passengers side firewall.

Just replaced one on a 95 explorer...and was still missing the third fan speed....turned out the harness was fired at the resistor. Had to rig something up....the contacts were not contacting the resistor killing the third fan speed.

Could have a similar problem.
    ~David~ Click the Pic for the Low Down on the Vic

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob 0-60 in 8.43 sec, 1/4 in 16.75 sec @ 84mph
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom mobile - 3.0 Duratec - Daily Driver/Beater/Hauler of parts and contraband

Here's pics of the screwed blower motor resister from my 88 (yours will have a different connector).

Mine would only work on high at the time as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6130-rs.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	25727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6131-rs.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	25728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6132-rs.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	25729  

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

wow, you guys rock...that's the single fastest response I've ever gotten to a question! This makes me extremely happy....now i've got my weekend project!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Is it automatic climate controls or manual? The auto cars don't use a resistor, they have a speed control module that lives in the same spot. The solder joints crack on them and cause the blower to not work. If thats what it is, you can take a soldering iron and flow a little fresh solder on the connections to make it work again most of the time. If its manual controls, then its most likely the resistor and/or the plug.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

probably not atc if it's a cop car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

never know, I've seen some really weirdly optioned cop cars. Probably right tho.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

no you're right about the weirdly optioned cop cars.

nah, this is a basic cop car...no cruise control, no special options...hell I'm happy that it has a/c and power windows.

I found the connector and module on the firewall. the harness and plug "looks" ok from the outside...it's also got a broken tab on it where you pry up to pull the connector off. It's been off before...that either worries me that someones fixed it before and that wasn't the problem, or that it's just been fixed before and needs to be repaired again.

You can try pulling it out and cleaning the contacts but it might not help at all.

I registered just to say thanks for this!