Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a/c blower motor only works on high??!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a/c blower motor only works on high??!!!

My blower motor for the a/c/heater/vent only works on high.

Thinking it was the switch I replaced the entire panel in the dash that has all the controls with one from a 2009 vic with only 35k miles...same deal...a/c only works on high.

I'm reading it could be some sort of resistor or something?? Any ideas where to find this so called resistor? This is driving me crazy...nothing like having full blast only on a climate control system.
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

blower motor resistor....it should be on the engine side of the firewall down around the evaporator housing heater core etc. on a 1991 or older i would say it's below the map sensor but i can't say for sure where it is on your car.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

chances are your blower speed resistor is fried. its located in the engine bay, on the firewall. pretty much by the pass side rocker cover. im sure someone here can post a pic.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

blower motor resistor...possibly located below the blower motor underneath the hood on the passengers side firewall.

Just replaced one on a 95 explorer...and was still missing the third fan speed....turned out the harness was fired at the resistor. Had to rig something up....the contacts were not contacting the resistor killing the third fan speed.

Could have a similar problem.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

dig this

http://www.p71interceptor.com/blowerresistor/replace/
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Here's pics of the screwed blower motor resister from my 88 (yours will have a different connector).

Mine would only work on high at the time as well.
            Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

wow, you guys rock...that's the single fastest response I've ever gotten to a question! This makes me extremely happy....now i've got my weekend project!

Comment

Is it automatic climate controls or manual? The auto cars don't use a resistor, they have a speed control module that lives in the same spot. The solder joints crack on them and cause the blower to not work. If thats what it is, you can take a soldering iron and flow a little fresh solder on the connections to make it work again most of the time. If its manual controls, then its most likely the resistor and/or the plug.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

probably not atc if it's a cop car
                  sigpic

Comment

never know, I've seen some really weirdly optioned cop cars. Probably right tho.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

no you're right about the weirdly optioned cop cars.
                      sigpic

Comment

nah, this is a basic cop car...no cruise control, no special options...hell I'm happy that it has a/c and power windows.

I found the connector and module on the firewall. the harness and plug "looks" ok from the outside...it's also got a broken tab on it where you pry up to pull the connector off. It's been off before...that either worries me that someones fixed it before and that wasn't the problem, or that it's just been fixed before and needs to be repaired again.

Comment

You can try pulling it out and cleaning the contacts but it might not help at all.
                          sigpic

Comment

I registered just to say thanks for this!
                            Carl

Comment

My '86 ATC has a resistor!....I replaced it and the blower motor on my quest to find out why high speed drops out then comes back on, I believe it is the vac can supply that is F-ed up, have not been able to find a new can as of yet.
                              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Is it automatic climate controls or manual? The auto cars don't use a resistor, they have a speed control module that lives in the same spot. The solder joints crack on them and cause the blower to not work. If thats what it is, you can take a soldering iron and flow a little fresh solder on the connections to make it work again most of the time. If its manual controls, then its most likely the resistor and/or the plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X