Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, truly. 4 large nuts and the steering column drops. not that hard. I have no clue about taking the full dash out of the newer cars though. Haven't tried that. It's probably just a matter of finding the bolts across the top of the dash. But yes, this is definitely the way it's done on boxes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      yes, truly. 4 large nuts and the steering column drops. not that hard. I have no clue about taking the full dash out of the newer cars though. Haven't tried that. It's probably just a matter of finding the bolts across the top of the dash. But yes, this is definitely the way it's done on boxes.
      Don't forget to undo the shift indicator cable, or you'll break it.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Don't forget to undo the shift indicator cable, or you'll break it.
        THIS!

I didn't have that issue since mine was already destroyed and long gone by the time I got the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Where do I undo the speedo cable from?

The OP seems to show a newer box (I've got a '90)-- do I still need to take out the instrument cluster? If I do, how do I get the dome light switch off (unless it just pulls off, hard-- but I didn't want to break it)

What's the best way to remove an aftermarket radio? I see two little clips that are spring loaded, I can hold them up with picks/flathead screwdrivers, but can't get the radio out. Perhaps if I pull the cupholders first, I can push it out from behind?

Lastly (for now-- I've just begun frankly), I'm wondering while I'm in here, is now an easy time to do the multifunction switch (I bought a new one a while ago, haven't installed), AND, if it isn't burnt out, is there any reason to preemptively replace the blower motor anyway? I don't know if that's something that's either shorted, or isn't, and age has little role --or for that matter if, like window and lock motors, 20yr old OEM can be better than chinese from advance auto parts-- or if it's a very good idea to replace an old one now while I'm in there, anyway.

Comment

edit to above: looked more closely, and the blower motor seems pretty clearly to be changed from the engine bay. So nevermind then, I'll just do it when it needs doing

Comment

Hi!

Need some clarification here.
              Looking at the photos in the write up, it looks like just the very top of the dash where the vents, and speakers if I had 'em there, comes off? Then you can get to that big plastic box through the top and the bottom, leaving the front alone?

Or were those photos just mid-stage?

I've attached a photo of my own dash from 1990. It's a little different.
              I've undone fewer than a dozen bolts, there's plenty to go, but already it feels like the WHOLE dash is loose. Is that the idea? Clock, radio, vents, instrument cluster, buttons, all of it to pull out?
              Seems that might not be right... lots of wires that would protest.

What exactly is it that I'm going to be removing, with all of these bolts to undo, even to the point of dropping the steering wheel? Is the entire dash, vents and all, going to break free? Do I need to unplug a half dozen hidden wiring harnesses for the instruments and buttons?

I've also got a photo of the dome light switch, which i can't figure out how to remove, unless I don't actually need to remove it. The long piece of faux wood trim was held on by a half dozen bolts, and now just the dome light switch is preventing me from pulling it off. Maybe the switch just pulls off of its shaft-- but I don't want to muscle it if it wasn't meant to come off.
              In car repair, I repeatedly find myself wondering if I just need to force something with more strength, and when it works I feel like I was just being a wuss; but of course when it wasn't supposed to be forced and it snaps, I feel like an idiot

Finally, that gear selection cable... I've got a photo of it attached. Looks like a thin thread that goes into a white plastic tube. Where do I disconnect it exactly? That IS the cable you guys were talking about...?
              Oh btw, and what does that little black toothed thumbwheel do?
              Attached Files

Comment

pull the light switch knob out to the 'on' position, reach up underneath it (your hand might not fit...mine barely does) - there's a tiny round metal button on the underside of the switch that will release the knob. gotta pull the switch/knob at the same time as you push the button, though...

yes, it is a rotten bastard to reach.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the thumbwheel is the adjustment for the shift indicator. the only place i ever detached my shift indicator cable from was the speedometer itself, i don't know if you need to do anything besides that.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ah, ok. Once I get the light switch off, I can get the instrument gauges out, and I detach the cord right behind the speedometer gauge?

If the shift indicator is on the righthand of "P" and all the other gears, I can turn that thumbwheel to re-center it?

Bigger picture again: when people say you need to remove the "dash," are we in fact talking vents, button, instrument cluster, ALL of it comes out? Or is there just a portion of the dash that will end up being freed?

btw, how do the plastic casings around the steering wheel come off? I see little holes going up from the bottom, but I can't feel out whether they're phillips, flathead, or just push tabs-- not strictly necessary for the heater core, but to install the new cancel cam/ multifunction switch.
                    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

yup you just turn the thumbwheel if the indicator is off. it probably won't be perfect on both P and 1 (opposite sides of the indicator) but you can probably find a nearly perfect medium.

the cluster comes out as a unit but you'll need to take the plastic covers off (a clear one and a black one) to unhook the shift indicator cable - be warned - i do not know if you need to unhook it anywhere else for this job because i've never had to drop my steering column. wait to drop the column before someone else chimes in, BUT, to get the cluster out the indicator cable needs to be unhooked (it is just a loop at the end)

when you get the light switch out and the faux wood dash piece off, there are 4 screws in the corners of the cluster holding it into the dash, and several smaller torx head screws holding the plastic covers over the cluster.
                      sigpic

Comment

oh yeah, there's a spring that helps locate the gear indicator needle. be damn careful not to lose the spring!!!! this will all make much more sense once you have that hateful light switch knob out of there and you can see the sweet sweet innards of the dash/cluster

i've got a spare instrument cluster laying around that i can snap a couple of pics of so you can see what i mean about the gear indicator etc but i am currently in bed so you won't get the pics for many hours
                        Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

yeah... this writeup is for 79-89... 90+ is a little different. There's no speedo cable, but you still have the shift indicator cable to deal with. Some of the inner dash mounts may be different, and I have no clue how to detach the top of those dashes (and I hope I'll never have to find out either).

Comment

yeah its just a wire harness plugging into the back of the cluster.

EDIT: i remember a user 91grandmarquis i believe did a heater core thread with lots of pics of the dash coming out.
                            Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Aha, this the thread?
                              http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=#post553631

Looks like it is the entire dash, comes forward, but I don't have to pull it off right? It can be left hanging like in that photo and I can reach over to the heater core's containment box?

Comment

OK, got back to the car.
                                Where is the button to pull the light switch off?

There's an outer ring for the time delay, then the center knob for the dimmer.
                                The center knob is stuck to the triangular steel post. It seems like if the center knob came off, I could pull the trim out and over it.

I don't see any button at all. I can try and stick a pick behind the plastic knob, if there's an invisible button, but I think it's more likely that I'm just not looking at the right thing.
                                Where is the button to release the dome light switch(es)?

Comment

Working...
                                X