fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
    Pfft, I'm running 1990 LTC O2 sensors and currently rocking 19mpg all city on my Frankenstein. If the OP does all city driving, some lower gears could actually help in the economy department as well. A good tune will do wonders as well, should be the first mod of ANY car.
    they make a huge difference if faulty or aged. if you knew anything about o2 sensors and how the computer uses them for adaptive strategy you'd know.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I actually dont run o2 sensors. Mine are unplugged. I have, a 93 Mercury Grand Marquis. And it looks just like the one in my sig. I go green. lol.
      I'm not sure if the driveshafts would swap right over. I'm pretty sure the output shafts are the same, just not sure about the length of the drive shaft itself.
      If anyone has an AODE or 4R70W, I would highly recommend doing the J-mod. I didn't do the full J-mod on mine; I just drilled out the separator plate to spec. No accumilator springs were removed. And it still has a firm, authoritive shift.
      And I use E3 spark plugs.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

180miles on 16.8 gallons. I just replaced my fuel filter in hopes that it may help a bit but who knows?! When I tilted the old one it looked like coffee grinds coming out of it so I assume that it was pretty dirty, I don't know the last time it was changed as I only got the car in January. Since then I have replaced the spark plugs with motorcraft copper, the air filter, checked the pcv valve(good), cleaned the maf and throttle body plenum, and made sure its always properly inflated. And I have kept up with the usual oil changes. Also I do not see much of a difference even when I baby the gas pedal for a whole tank, If I drive with a slow and even acceleration I get maybe 200 to the tank tops. Any other ideas?

Comment

Are you sure your speedo is reading correctly? And are you calculating correctly? Fill it up, drive it, fill it back up. Then how many miles you went divided by how many gallons it took to fill it back up? If your car is actually only getting 11 mpg there is something wrong. If you take lots of short trips let the car idle and warm up to operating temp before you drive.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

I am sure I calculated correctly. I filled it completely then I drove till the low fuel light came on. I filled it which took 16.8 gallons and I had only driven 180 miles. This is the average. I have to fill it once a week and its pretty much right on the money every time. I have done fuel filter, air filter, plugs, this past week i did coolant change and flush, I have cleaned the tb, and maf and still not seeing a noticeable increase at all. It seems as though the gas mileage got worse when I tried to baby the pedal for a full tank I only managed 165 miles that way. I do not want to throw money at it with out first really researching the issue. I have hooked my scanner up to the car which gives me a full read out of data but I'm not sure what all of it means. There are no codes and no dummy lights on either. Any ideas would be great, Thanks.

Comment

Put more air in your tires. Inflate them to max recomended pressure on the sidewall, prolly somewhere in the 45psi range. Also since you do alot of stop and go and short distances if you have acces to plugins where you park, you could install a block heater that way the engine will be warm as soon as you start it. Driving on a cold engine kills milage.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Unfortunately, these are highway cruisers. It takes alot of power/gas to make these go. My only recommendation, as bad as it seems, would be to downsize.
                Unless you need the cargo space, seating, safety; then you might want to look elsewhere.
                4.10 gears might help your cause.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

10mpg is pretty brutal, and that's about what thewishkah is getting. I top that in the city with 2.73 gears, a heavy foot, and a carburetor in my vic, often with passengers. I'd suspect brakes or bearings dragging or something if the engine is ok. Clogged cat maybe? Something is seriously wrong unless you're doing a huge amount of idling.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Well I did a seafoam treatment today, not sure how much it will help if any but it did make A LOT of smoke and crap come out of the exhaust. I also took pictures of the data stream on my obdII scanner maybe that will help someone identify my problem?

Comment

yup i understand that i get like 12 mpg at the moment...grrr i need to fix the vac leaks fo sho!
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Comment

Im not really sure what to make of it. If anyone knows please chime in.

Comment

here's the video of the after seafoam effect. http://youtu.be/w9-oAUE-Lu8

Comment

as far as the smoking after the seafoam... run it a while... it should clear up. They always look like a mosquito truck while the seafoam does it's dirty work. You don't need to drive it around... just run it a while.

if it doesn't clear up... or gets worse... then the valve seals are probably shot and now unclogged and it's burning oil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by thewishkah View Post
                                I am sure I calculated correctly. I filled it completely then I drove till the low fuel light came on. I filled it which took 16.8 gallons and I had only driven 180 miles. This is the average. I have to fill it once a week and its pretty much right on the money every time. I have done fuel filter, air filter, plugs, this past week i did coolant change and flush, I have cleaned the tb, and maf and still not seeing a noticeable increase at all. It seems as though the gas mileage got worse when I tried to baby the pedal for a full tank I only managed 165 miles that way. I do not want to throw money at it with out first really researching the issue. I have hooked my scanner up to the car which gives me a full read out of data but I'm not sure what all of it means. There are no codes and no dummy lights on either. Any ideas would be great, Thanks.

right now my 1983 GM CFI gets 12MPG in the city and about 21 on the hwy.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                                -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                                1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                                X