Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corner turning lights(Not the amber one the optional side marker lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corner turning lights(Not the amber one the optional side marker lights.

when i turn my turn signal on my cornering lamps have a delay 3 sec then work. Is this delay normal or should they come on as soon as you turn your turn signal on. Also they turn on solid. Is that normal too or are they suppose to blink.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

You referring to the clear ditch lights on the lower front fenders? Yes, that's normal. They're tied in with the turn signal circuit after the flasher can. There are two more cans that look like flasher cans attached to the under side of the steering column. These allow the ditch lights to come on and stay on with the turn signals without blinking, hence the delay. If you bypassed the delay cans, I imagine they would blink right along with the turn signals.
    "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

how would i do that.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
        when i turn my turn signal on my cornering lamps have a delay 3 sec then work. Is this delay normal or should they come on as soon as you turn your turn signal on. Also they turn on solid. Is that normal too or are they suppose to blink.
        Yes it's normal, and no they shouldn't blink.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

^what he said^ lol i wouldent mess with any of the related

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Well, there's several things at play here. For one, if you have the original thermal blinker can, your turn signals would blink fast if you bypassed the delay cans. For another, they would also work with the hazard flashers, adding more drain on the battery if you broke down and had to leave the car on the side of the road for a while. I don't use thermal blinker cans, I replace them with electronic ones to get a steady blink rate regardless of voltage. The drawback is they don't indicate you have a burned out bulb, but you're supposed to check all your lights on a regular basis anyway. If you wanted to go ahead and bypass them, I would recommend replacing the clear bulbs with amber ones. Now the delay cans have three wires going to them. One is a hot-in-run wire (enables the ditch lights to work only when the car is running), the second wire will be from the turn signals, and the third will be the wires going to the ditch lights. You would make two jumper wires with spade connectors on each end and jumper the turn signal wire to the ditch light wire on each connector. If you have a VOM meter or a test light you could quickly figure out which wire is which. Of course you would be doing this at your own risk.
            "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

If you bypass the relays, then the ditch light blinks. They aren't specifically designed to have a delay in turning on, its just how the system works.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wouldn't mess with them either, but I like having the ditch lights for turning on the many unlit roads around here.

Comment

i know my blinker fuse was replace the blinkers flash fast. But for some reason using my hazard lights they freeze solid on any idea.
                  Last edited by MattsLincoln; 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

There are two blinker cans, one for the turn signals, and the other for the hazards. My guess is it bit the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve'87 View Post
                      There are two blinker cans, one for the turn signals, and the other for the hazards. My guess is it bit the dust.

can you post a pic of this blinker can for the hazard lights.

Comment

its round
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

and behind the fuse panel..someplace nobody ever wants to venture.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Last edited by rick99601; 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM.
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

gonna look at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X