No announcement yet.

who's coming to SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks hopefully it passes without cats.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Doubt it, especially if it's registered in an emissions county. Learned all about the inspection stuffz in school. I have my licenses for inspection but no shop to perform them in.

Comment

its easy to pass without a smog pump, but you need cats.
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
          its easy to pass without a smog pump, but you need cats.
          cats what are those?
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

You know its actually against federal law to remove emissions devices right? In practical terms, you're only getting caught where they do inspections, and then only really if you're missing the converters but by the letter of the law, all of that BS must be there. I can tell you with no real degree of uncertainty that if you are missing the converters in an area that does inspections, you will fail. Even if its not a tailpipe sniffer test, everybody that does inspections has a visual anti-tamper check to make sure the BS is there, particuarly the converters.

For whatever its worth, I've been running my stuff through for years with no smog pump, but with cats in place. Passes the sniffer with flying colors.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea, aint gonna get away with out the converters. also, the thing about the emmisions equipment is true. but here in ontario, removing OE exhaust manifolds and installing headers is illegal. we like to take things up a notch. im also sure that goes for having a shelby super snake lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Removing cats for a performance gain is a moot point when it comes to the caliber of most of the builds on this site.

I can understand if you're installing headers, and the catless pipe is cheaper... but if you live in an emissions region, you're just jamming yourself up.

Keep it compliant, because any gain you get (minimal at best), is hardly worth the hassle.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Removing cats for a performance gain is a moot point when it comes to the caliber of most of the builds on this site.

I can understand if you're installing headers, and the catless pipe is cheaper... but if you live in an emissions region, you're just jamming yourself up.

Keep it compliant, because any gain you get (minimal at best), is hardly worth the hassle.
                  i just like the way it smells catless.
                  1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                  1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I understand that, but to me it isn't worth the hassles.

I personally am not a fan of the catless smell, unless someone is running a race blend.

The sound benefits... eh...
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      I understand that, but to me it isn't worth the hassles.

I personally am not a fan of the catless smell, unless someone is running a race blend.

The sound benefits... eh...
                      I don't like the catless smell either. Haven't smelled an exhaust from a race blend before.

Yes and legally all of the stuff has to be there. First thing they looked at was to see if the cats were there (the angled mirrors). They opened the hood on my last inspection. I still have the smog pump hooked up because partially, it's new, I have the pump blowing air into the cats (because I have the ports on the cats) and making vacuum for the cruise, and it makes the engine bay look stock. Granted I don't have the air pipe to the back of the heads, and that's because I don't have the ports on the back of the GT40Ps. Technically, I can fail for that. So if I had one asshole of an inspector, I could be failed for that.
                      The law states, that emission devices originally equipped on a car, must be present, connected and 'appear' to be working. If not you fail. And if the emissions are not in the proper limit you fail there too.

Comment

yes technically im supposed to have cats on my car, but actually it smelled worse with them on, however i know a few shops that let the cats slide due to the age of the car.
                        also in ny you can have a blank cats on a car, it does not require them to work. but smog pump has to be present, also does not have to work.

Comment

I dont really like that "raw" smell, or the race blend smell. I also loathe the stench of a diesel. If only gasoline engines smelled like propane or CNG engines.

Definitely agree about converters usually not being a performance hindrance unless clogged. I will say that exhaust tends to sound goofy with a hollow converter shell in the pipe though.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

im going to get some of this to go with my new cherry bombs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOC-19769-19/
                            Last edited by zoomie; 02-01-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X