ClifFORD - the big red truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ClifFORD - the big red truck

Brought it to the shop tonight... it ran out of gas on the way (luckily I brought some) and it gave me a sputtering/stalling spell soon afterwords, but smoothed out by the last leg. I'm hoping I just sucked up junk in the fuel filter...

So far I know it needs a center link, the headlight switch is a little wonky, tires aren't great, and the valve cover gaskets are leaking but not as much as I thought.
    Fuel and oil pressure gauges don't work, and the trans seems to shift a little late, and not downshift soon enough. Once its in gear it seems to go fine... Hopefully the TV cable is kinked or something simple
    This is what I know before getting it on a lift. Keep your fingers crossed I didn't just shoot myself in the foot!

I spent my tax return on it...
    Heres pics from the CL ad:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3n43ma3oa5O05W45P5b148f6bbab6516d1292.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1297527 Click image for larger version

Name:	3of3p43l65Z15T35R4b14d248f410b7001d85.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1297528 Click image for larger version

Name:	3m23p63l85Q05Z55P6b146c6e0d030a7b111e.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1297529
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

the sputtering was probably just cleaning air out of the lines from running it dry.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Very a nice! How much?
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

600 gypsy tears!
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

coming to haul my coal?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That has got a nice big bed!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Checked it out today at lunch... and found out a few things.

I found newish/recently replaced: front brakes and hoses, rear shoes, starter, cap/wires/plugs, ECT sensor, non-original TFI module, rear shocks, belts and hoses, and U-joints.

It still had a rough idle and stalled a few times bringing it into the shop. The fuel filter gave a little resistance when i blew through it, so I put a new one in and it didn't stall backing it out, seemed to run good for a couple laps around the parking lot. Still idled a little sketchy, Im gonna try a spare IAC on it, I saw someone had been monkeying with the throttle stop screw.
              I found the ATF fluid was a low, and the TV/detent/kick-down (not sure what its called on this transmission) cable has about an inch of slack in it at the throttle end. Its a weird setup, Im gonna take a pic of it later and see if anyone knows whats up.
              Also I saw it had a vacuum modulator valve (making this a C4-C6 maybe???) that i plan to change if other efforts don't get it shifting better. I've heard C4/C6's handle mis-adjustments better so that put my mind at ease a little.
              The pinion gear seemed to have play in it, a co-worker looked at it and said he thinks the nut it just loose. Gonna try to tighten that up later too...
              The center link wasn't as bad as i thought, I think the bulk of the squirrely steering was due to all the tires only having 10-15 psi in them. I'll probably change that later once i get it running good.
              The tires definitely aren't that great, I'll probably take the ones of my turbines and put them on this.
              Its also got two trailer wiring harnesses, but just a ball in the bumper.

Everything else seems ok, no compromising rust underneath, ball joints seem ok, didn't see any wiped out suspension or radius arm bushings.

If all goes well, I'll be using it this spring for junk/scrap/brush/gravel/mulch hauling and then try to sell it this summer for 1,500.
              sigpic

Comment

What engine?
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

looks like a nice truck.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

5.0 I'm guessing. The label under the hood is MIA... haven't gotten more than an hour of tender lovin' time with it yet. How can I tell 5.0 vs 5.8 otherwise anyway? lol
                    sigpic

Comment

should say right on the upper intake in big numbers and letters, so you wont need your glasses lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

or look at the dizzy... if it has a wall behind the hole... 351. pretty level behind the hole... 302.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I like the name.
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            or look at the dizzy... if it has a wall behind the hole... 351. pretty level behind the hole... 302.
                            and the bolts for the T-stat are easy to get at with a socket, on a 351W

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

A 351 will have 5.8 EFI cast into the top of the upper intake. It will also have a dual throttle body. The 5.0 I think has a smooth upper intake. Both intakes are considerably taller then their Panther cousins.

The dual throttle body.
                              Last edited by watchdog; 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM.
                              1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Working...
                              X