No announcement yet.

BBF 460 in a Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread makes me want to take my t-bird out to the track. Even if it does nothing but disintegrate the right rear.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
      The E7TE 460 head is the beginning of the true "EFI" heads. Ford raised the intake ports which means that a normal 429/460 4V intake will not work.
      Nobody makes an aftermarket 4V intake for them. PMI makes an intake adapter for around $280 or you can use the carb adapter I mentioned above...
      interesting.

As I sort of said in my original posts, I know virtually nothing about building 460s. I just assumed late-model heads were about as good as pre-emissions heads but easier to find, like is the case with small blocks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
        The guy that put the 460 in a box put a stock 460 in, with a c-6 trans... I will try to find the e-mail he sent me recently, and see if i can find the video he made of it running...
        Please do, I'm still very interested in this build, and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to sway me one way or another...

How hard would it be to fit a Top-Loader in a panther? I know a new drive shaft will probably need to be made, aswell and modifying the tranny-tunnel for bolt holes and such. Anything else I'd have to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
          How hard would it be to fit a Top-Loader in a panther? I know a new drive shaft will probably need to be made, aswell and modifying the tranny-tunnel for bolt holes and such. Anything else I'd have to worry about?
          The problem with toploaders is that they have been out of factory production since 1973. They are getting harder to find, so the price has gone up. You can spend over $500 on a core tranny. You can spend another several hundred dollars or more rebuilding it. The bill from the last one I sent in to be rebuilt was right around $1000. When you are done, you still have no overdrive. Then there is the issue of the clutch. You need a bellhousing which will take a cable clutch with the toploader bolt pattern.
          A modern T5 5-speed is more readily available and you can use a factory length driveshaft and a Mustang bellhousing.

Comment

Aye, I was thinking of a top loader behind a 460, because if I went through the trouble of doing this, I'd want a manual.

Comment

1FSTCAT put a 460 in a 91 box vic....Edit : how odd cant find anything hes posted past 2009
              Last edited by zoomie; 02-24-2011, 12:35 AM.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I did some reading on a pseduo 385 series build up. 598" (FRPP block), and special heads (A460?).

915 hp, with a 'conservative' cam, as the builder wanted some reliabiltiy from the engine.

Not too shabby. I don't need 598 cubic inches, or 915 hp, but I was pretty impressed. I wish 4 bolt 385 series blocks were more prevalent.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  I did some reading on a pseduo 385 series build up. 598" (FRPP block), and special heads (A460?).

915 hp, with a 'conservative' cam, as the builder wanted some reliabiltiy from the engine.

Not too shabby. I don't need 598 cubic inches, or 915 hp, but I was pretty impressed. I wish 4 bolt 385 series blocks were more prevalent.
                  There is not the problem of splitting 2 bolt blocks at "only" 600HP like there is for 5.0 and 5.8 motors. If you can afford A460 heads, you can certainly afford a factory D0VE-A 429 block with shipping. They are still plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                  X