No announcement yet.

BBF 460 in a Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did the early '90s F-350 use as a trans behind the 460? I figured that if you're seriously considering a BBF swap, that hood fitment would be the least of the concerns.

Packman

Comment

C6 i think
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-20-2011, 12:24 AM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Aha! That would be cool with a built AOD or better yet a T-56. When I was a kid I loved (still do) the '61 Lincoln Continental. I thought it would be cool to have an EFI 460 in there.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          Aha! That would be cool with a built AOD or better yet a T-56. When I was a kid I loved (still do) the '61 Lincoln Continental. I thought it would be cool to have an EFI 460 in there.

Packman

I'd love to turn a 79 mk V into a sleeper rocket ship.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            What did the early '90s F-350 use as a trans behind the 460? I figured that if you're seriously considering a BBF swap, that hood fitment would be the least of the concerns.
            The E4OD came behind a 460 and can be built stout as it used C6 type geartrain. It is a wide ratio tranny so that is a bonus. Lentech builds valve bodies for them as well as complete trannys. If you are going EFI, then you use a EFI "carb" intake. Forget about a factory EFI intake. They are tall just like the Windsors and just as useless for a performance application.

Comment

I figured as much with the EFI. That would be a mean engine in a Panther or a Mustang or anything Ford for that matter.

Packman

Comment

temp hijack/detour

what about a 390 FE?
                how does this motor stack up compared to 351W and 460?
                fitment? AOD compatibility?
                HP potential?
                weight?
                parts availability?

Comment

Originally posted by sinistral View Post
                  what about a 390 FE?
                  how does this motor stack up compared to 351W and 460?
                  fitment? AOD compatibility?
                  HP potential?
                  weight?
                  parts availability?
                  there's a 70s 360 motor for sale locally so i actually have been reading up on it.

run.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    run.
                    run away or run toward?

Comment

Originally posted by sinistral View Post
                      run away or run toward?
                      seems like it'd cost a good bit more than a 351w
                      sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

"Easy power is found in cubic inches. A junk yard 460 with stock internals and stock heads would do. All you change is the manifold, carb and cam and youll see 400-450hp and 500tq all day with just basic mods. That power is equal to a well invested 302 or 351 and they wont make the torque. Torque is key not hp. And thats with stock 60lb iron heads. You cant beat more cubic inches."

For some reason everyones obsessed with the windsor line of motors on this site like nothing else that ford produced is capable of making power. Truley the cheapest way to make more is go bigger. You have to do less to achieve more power. Like a bored and stroked 351w with $10,000 worth of aftermarket mods would even come close to holding a light VS same scenario 460??????????????? I say do it if thats what you want and let others bang there head against the wall.

This is a mild stock rebuild with a little work done on the heads and runs on pump gas. 500 lb-ft of torque right at the hit and then it climes... That ought...

Stock rebuild with head work. 500 lb-ft sounds like a nice number for just head work.
                          Town Coupe [X]
                          Mark VI [ ]
                          Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                          Crown Victoria Coupe
                          [ ]

Comment

That's because people here like things that bolt in and work. A 460 by no means is bolt in. And that's not even taking into account all the supporting drive line and suspension mods needed to actually make use of it.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              That's because people here like things that bolt in and work. A 460 by no means is bolt in. And that's not even taking into account all the supporting drive line and suspension mods needed to actually make use of it.

Besides engine mounts and a different lenght driveshaft dosnt all the rest pertain to all built engines? Just because a 351w drops in means you dont need make sure the trans can withstand the power? Which would prob mean a swap because who builds a motor making substancial power and puts a AOD behind it? Your rear and suspension have to be up to par or they break. Its involved anyway you look at it if you have a built motor just a little more for somthing that was never offered. Why not just go the extra step?
                              Town Coupe [X]
                              Mark VI [ ]
                              Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                              Crown Victoria Coupe
                              [ ]

Comment

The guy that put the 460 in a box put a stock 460 in, with a c-6 trans... I will try to find the e-mail he sent me recently, and see if i can find the video he made of it running... it is prretty much bolt in... he had to change the mounts a little, but it fit right in. He did have to go to electric fans because the regular fan sits too high on the 460. He also had to cut the underhood supports some to clear the aircleaner. He used a conversion kit for all of the Accessorys.. like the altranator power steering etc... it is bascially a plate that mounts to the front of the block, then you use the stock mounts to attach everything.
                                Pretty cool set up... Also, as far as an overdrive, you could get one of the electric overdrive unitds that bolts to the transmission (It replaces the tail shaft cover) So you have overdrive. They use them on motorhomes... you can probably still get them...
                                Then get a gear shift lever with the over drive button out of a newer Crown Vic, and you have the selector switch for the overdrive!
                                I always wanted to do this... 1991 P-72 460, The cam ground to match the Plymouth Police cam grind, (To get the Plymouth police "lope" when it idles, without it being too radical and to have the power output like the old 440's) Factory style intake with spread bore four barrel carb, C-6 trans, overdrive unit, 9 inch rear end, four wheel disc brakes, With some Plymouth "Hemi" mufflers to give it a nice, low rumble, and totally bone stock looking, (Spinner hubcaps, window tint, painted white, spotlight) and have the ultimate sleeper....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X