Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 MGM OK for fuel blend with E10/E85 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 MGM OK for fuel blend with E10/E85 ?

Hi,
    here in Germany they are starting right now with the blend of 80% gas and 20% of
    E 10(is it called E85 in the US?). Further they stop selling the "normal" gas, only Premium will be available in the future.
    Does anyone here know, whether the 2003 MGM is able to digest the 80/20 blend with E10? Or, will I have to expect problems with the fuel injection system sealing or other concerned parts?
    Just wanted to ask here before contacting the Ford customer service at Dearborn.

Thank you in advance for your comments on this

JoJo

E-10 is 10% ethanol, E-85 is 85% ethanol. A blend of 80% gas and 20% E-10 doesn't really make sense, as that'd be something like 2% ethanol.

I suspect what you're dealing with is a switch to 20% ethanol, or E-20 (though that term isn't often used). E20 would be pushing it, but E-10 is run on many non-flexfuel cars including Panthers in the US. When it goes to 20% ethanol you may want to buy premium gas. It won't hurt anything, just cost a bit more. I know "a bit more" is actually a pretty big chunk in Euro prices, so I guess weight that against the cost of potential fuel system repairs.

tl;dr no worries with E10 but E20 would make me a bit worried

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

if youre gonna have to run premium, might as well get a tune for it. get some 'use' out of it anyway...
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

20% no good, i would do half a tank of premium and half tank of regular

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I was wrong......

Alright guys, I was wrong ! E-10 is a 10% blend mix also here in Germany. Until now they blended with "only" 5% and now they are going up to 10%.

If there are a lot of Panthers over there in the US which have no probs with E-10 I will not be afraid to put it in my tank here as well.
          Is there any official statement from Ford/mercury avaible for this issue?
          Gas prices are "slightly" higher here: Prices per Liter and in USD: Diesel 1,81;
          Premium gas 1,94, LPG 1,01

Will see, what they are gonna ask for E-10 in the next weeks.....

Rgds

JoJo

Comment

If you are worried about the negative effects of E-10 on your vehicle i use an additive called Startron by Starbrite, it's used in many marine applications due to the problems with carburetors and fuel separation, i actually notice a 2-3 MPG fuel increase on my toyota corolla with it..

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I did extensive research on it as well...and seeing as the reviews are almost all positive i find it a good product, i use it on my panther as well, since it has a carb, and i don't need that being destroyed by ethanol.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

my 88 EFI has no issues with E10. the 03 shouldn't have any either. if they up it to 15% (E15) though... you may start to see little issues and need a higher octane.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X