what is this? where does it go? rear suspension part found on driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this? where does it go? rear suspension part found on driveway

Hi, First I did change the front sway bar bushings and the sway bar end links. Went to A Zone and they were out of the OEM bushings so I suggested to order the energy suspension bushing. "We have those on the shelf in Performance aisle. OKAY! Put them on in about an hour, not counting the 4 beer pre production time. I drove to work the next day and the up and down motion when you hit a dip stopped but I had a vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat. I figured the steering wheel vibration was an idler arm. Did not know what the seat vibration was.
    I looked at the front end and saw that the passenger rf tire had a huge bubble in the tread. This morning driving to work both vibrations were GONE. Happy again.

Monday I have to buy the new tires (225/60/15) Not sure which brand of tire yet. Then put the Bilstein front shocks on. I will be doing the rear with the Bilstein shocks as soon as they come in.

I got under the rear of the car and while looking at the rear drivers side lower control arm I noticed the bushing. As soon as I touched it it and the triangle spring and attached nut and bolt fell to the ground. I could not see where it belonged and did not see another on the passenger side.

I just don't know what the piece is. Can anyone help identify it?

Thank you,
    Mike
    Attached Files
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

those are either the rubber biscuits that go on the shock, or on the sway bar endlinks. The shock has 2, one above and one below the frame. Endlinks have 4, one on each side of the control arm, and one on each side of the bar itself. What year car anyway? 92+ have that style endlink front and back. 91- do not.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you Gadget 73. It is a 91 GS. There is no rear swaybar. The shocks seem to be okay without looking. The triangle pin is what stumps me too. I reached up to where the DS rear lower control mounts to the frame. I saw the rubber bushing wedged in there and as soon as I touched it the bushing fell and the large piece of the pin/clip was still connected to the frame in a dimpled in area. I also can't figure where the bolt and nut that was thru the bushing was attached. It seems like it would a bushing between the lower control arm and the frame, but when I looked at the passenger side there is none.
      My thanks again,
      Mike
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

triangle plus the other part together likely make up a cotter pin. Usually you'd find those on tie rod ends or ball joints. Possible someone made up some new bump stops on the lower arm using shock bushings ? Stock bump stop is a triangle shaped thing somewhere along the one edge of the arm. I seem to remember a raised flat spot where it bolts on, but my memory is a little hazy about it right now.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could be an upper shock mount, but the other parts look like the parking brake cable holder.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Upper rear shock bushing possibly, stick your arm up there and feel around the top of the shocks.
            Or, just the 'left overs' from a long ago done shock replacement that finally fell off the car.

Possible someone made up some new bump stops on the lower arm using shock bushings ? Stock bump stop is a triangle shaped thing somewhere along the one edge of the arm.
            For those that need 'em, you can buy replacements for the control arm bumpers at various parts stores, $10-15 retail.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
            X