valve stem seals: o-ring vs. umbrella?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    hey crownvicman, measure the cast iron stem that sticks up and tell me the diameter? It might be that 302 seals will work for you, in which case just tell the counter guy that you now own a '96 explorer or a '90 crown vic or whatever, and then he'll find positive type seals for you The '96 explorer did come up with positive type all around (intake and exhaust) if you want them; the mustang and colony park (different heads, but must be the same seals) came up with the positive/umbrella mix on rockauto and on northernautoparts.

The seals I've got sit less than 1/4" over the iron stem, so the springs would have to be very compressed to mash them; what kind of seal did you have, that it was sitting so high as to be hit by the keepers/retainers?
    It's all put back together now. Once I get it running again, I'm going to monitor oil consumption and base my long term engine plan on that. I do still have that P engine on the stand to check the seals and diameters of. I won't put it in with the weak dick stock springs. Valve float at 5k on a motor that raps out to 5500?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Working...
    X