Help with the horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with the horn

need info on a 89 Marquis I do not know if it needs to be replace or what I hit the button and it clicks then nothing but the car battery is strong

i think it is a short somewhere in the wiring. check all wiring if it isnt the wiring and the horn is faulty replace the 2 horns with 12 horns .

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the horn relay shares the power feed. On both sides of the relay. So my question for you, do you have access to a 12 volt test light? I would pull one of the wires off of one of the horns and probe it for voltage when the horn button is pressed. You might need another person to help you.

Pull the wire off, stick the probe on the wire, attach the other side to a good ground (battery negative would be the best) And see if you get a light. If you don't replace the relay. If you do get light, replace the horns. There are 2 of them. One on each side inside the fenders. One next to the battery, and the other next to the coolant/washer fluid tank.

There is a 13mm bolt that would need to be undone to remove each horn.
      I doubt that both horns went at the same time. Good luck.

Also the horn relay is the one that is by itself on the drivers side fender. It's a grey relay (if original) with a gray plug.

Comment

Worst case, it's easy to add a new horn relay and hook it to the stock horn button. I just use cheap universal relays.

Seems I've heard of the horn button itself failing, FWIW. But, it's easy to pull that off and check for continuity when the button is depressed. Definitely simpler to start your probing at the stock horn relay, though.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If it clicks, the horn button is fine. And the control side of the relay is working.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesBrotherAlley View Post
            I hit the button and it clicks
            Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            If it clicks, the horn button is fine. And the control side of the relay is working.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

whether the power side of the relay is good or not, the testlight/volt meter at the horn wiring will tell that. sometimes the horns die and need to be replaced. Get train horns :p

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if you are mexican, you should put in a "la cucceracha" horn

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  whether the power side of the relay is good or not, the testlight/volt meter at the horn wiring will tell that. sometimes the horns die and need to be replaced. Get train horns :p
                  QFT

The horn on the Esteem died, so I didn't just get one horn, I got 2 'freeway blaster' horns.

I turned out the horn itself probably isn't the problem (or the fuse... or the relay.. or any visible wiring, but I digress) but it was a good excuse to go overkill, and now I'll just add those horns onto the Crown Vic.

It won't be MattGrandMarquis's 8 or whatever horn ridiculousness, but still fun.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Did you fix the horn?

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                      QFT

The horn on the Esteem died, so I didn't just get one horn, I got 2 'freeway blaster' horns.

I turned out the horn itself probably isn't the problem (or the fuse... or the relay.. or any visible wiring, but I digress) but it was a good excuse to go overkill, and now I'll just add those horns onto the Crown Vic.

It won't be MattGrandMarquis's 8 or whatever horn ridiculousness, but still fun.

ah i love my 12 soon to be 16 horns. nice and loud.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Did you fix the horn?
                        Well not yet I do not have a 12 volt but I got some more help and we are 95 sure it's the relay

Comment

Working...
                        X