forum read marking behavior changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forum read marking behavior changed

This isn't gonna make a lot of sense to most folks, but I changed the forum read marking behavior. Basically what will happen is that if you're gone for 25 minutes or so, it marks everything read. Its the same behavior the forum had prior to the vb4 upgrade. Its a lot less processor and database intensive, so with some luck it will improve performance. I'm trying everything I can find to speed this up. I know its not quite what it used to be, but I'm doing my best with it. If anything goes catastrophically wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Appreciate the work and dedication Thain.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I love this new feature. If I have to go do something like the dishes or taking a crap, and I'm still logged in, I get to guess which threads have new posts when I get back. It's like an Easter egg hunt.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

What do you have to guess? The threads in bold are new and the ones in regular type are read.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah definitely didn't like this when I came back and found that it had decided that I'd read everything, especially because it disables the "skip to first unread message" button.
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

This is the same as it was before the upgrade. The first thing I heard from everyone after the vb4 switch was how much shittier the software was and how much better it used to be. Make it more like it used to be, and now thats shitty. I give up.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

before (at least for me) it would dump the read threads and only show unread/new threads when clicking on "new posts"

whichever will work for me... as long as it doesn't change all the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                I love this new feature. If I have to go do something like the dishes or taking a crap, and I'm still logged in, I get to guess which threads have new posts when I get back. It's like an Easter egg hunt.
                If it takes you 25 minutes to take a shit, you're going to end up with some kind of 'roids...

I appreciate the effort, Thain. And coming from me... this new software is not all that bad, in my opinion. People just need to get used to it.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

So the short of it is that just-read threads still show up, unbolded, on usercp.php, and hitting the "New" button brings up only a page or two of threads at the most?

I hadn't been familiar with the "skip to first unread message" button ... where was it and what'd it do?
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

there are two of those. the one in the thread (like this one or any other) that contains an unread post is up top, roughly in the center. It does what the name implies, it jumps you down to the first unread post in the thread. The one on the forum list or in the new post listing is a square box with a > in it. That will open the thread and take you to the first unread message in said post. Its still there, and it still works but since the forum automatically marks threads as read if you visit and are then idle for a while, it won't show up on any thread that doesn't contain unread posts. Previously it would be there on any thread that you hadn't read, or marked as read manually.

Comment

Ok, well I got confused. Now the forum's working just like it always did, I don't see any difference. But recently, when I logged in, there were no messages marked "unread" in any of the forums (nothing in bold) even though when I explored the threads there were messages I hadn't seen before. So yes, everything is back like it was, but that initial thing where it happened to me was confusing. I apologize for complaining. Thain, you're underappreciated and I'm sorry I bitched. You do a lot of unnoticed hard work for no pay and we need you around.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

GMN is still GMN. Quirks or not.

Thanks for all you do, Thain. Notice, we haven't had a problem with spam since we got the new software?
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i nuked a spammer this morning

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I killed off a spammer as well.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

We've never had problems with spammers. It's fucking great.

Comment

Working...
                              X