No announcement yet.

My JBL Swap(In Progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres no mention of the JBL system in the 86 EVTM, just Radio (stereo). Possibly not an option, but the stock Towncar stereo is similar to your premium sound with the football amp and all that. Towncars only got amplified on the front speakers though, not all 4 which I think is strange. 87 is probably the same for standard premium sound, but the JBL stuff is very different. 88+ premium and JBL are basically identical as far as wiring goes, only the amp and speakers differ.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Theres no mention of the JBL system in the 86 EVTM, just Radio (stereo). Possibly not an option, but the stock Towncar stereo is similar to your premium sound with the football amp and all that. Towncars only got amplified on the front speakers though, not all 4 which I think is strange. 87 is probably the same for standard premium sound, but the JBL stuff is very different. 88+ premium and JBL are basically identical as far as wiring goes, only the amp and speakers differ.
      The thing is Thain, I've already seen that the town cars are two channel set ups. However this premium sound wiring is not. It amplifies all 6 speakers, and is different than my 4 channel premium sound.

Matt, that's the '87 headunit?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        The thing is Thain, I've already seen that the town cars are two channel set ups. However this premium sound wiring is not. It amplifies all 6 speakers, and is different than my 4 channel premium sound.

Matt, that's the '87 headunit?

yes. those are it's connections. long rectangular grey m100 plug with the coaxial m200 black square plug the runs to the amplifier directly i will pull it out of that town car when i get the money.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

87 JBL and 88+ JBL and Premium are a proper 4 channel / 6 speaker amplified setup. If you're looking at something that has all of the speakers amplified for an 87 Towncar, its quite likely a JBL setup. I just don't have that wiring diagram here, though the one for a 91 Mark is probably the same.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

87 JBL and 88+ JBL and Premium are a proper 4 channel / 6 speaker amplified setup. If you're looking at something that has all of the speakers amplified for an 87 Towncar, its quite likely a JBL setup. I just don't have that wiring diagram here, though the one for a 91 Mark is probably the same.

yes the one for a 1991 mark vii is the same setup. utilizes the same connections. on the other note i am getting a new radio to amplifier speaker harness coaxial cable for free so i will have tunes next week woohoo. still gonna figure out why i dont get am/fm stations something must have gone on my antenna.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

so i got an email from paul protos today and i am buying from the guy a whole NOS ford cd changer kit for the jbl radio that i am giving him to rebuild plus a 1988-1990 jbl radio with the cd player. so he is gonna get back on me on a price but i will definitely be buying all the stuff from him. he is gonna send me pics too so i will post them on here.

Comment

so let me tell you my progress so far on this shit. so far this system is a complete pain in the ass to hook up. i dont know what got myself into but the radio has a mind of its own.

so i got 2 jbl amplifiers from 1989 mark vii's i also got the complete wiring harness from one of them and so far it looks like i have all the wires wired up the right way. though the radio is being a pita it works when it wants to like it has a short internally or externally somewhere in the wiring. it will play and eventually the radio will cut out when i shut the car off when i turn the key back on the radio doesnt even light up but next morning it will work again. so i have 2 headunits 1 is from a 1989 mark vii and one is from a 1989 town car. the wiring on the m100 harness to the back of the radio is dark blue, red, yellow with black stripe, light green with yellow stripe, and a black wire.

i need to know what are all the pins on the back of the radios for and where they go. i only need the pin layout for the m100 plug long rectangualer grey plug. i need to make sure there in the right places. i took the plug from the 1989 town car i got that radio out of. i dont know if the jbl radio needs those pins in certain places to work. the color wires are light green with a yellow stripe(Memory Wire), black wire(Grounded at the bus ground connectors), dark blue wire(Goes directly to the amplifier's blue wire), red wire,(goes directly to the jbl amplifier red wire, not tapped to the other ground), yellow with black stripe(Goes to hot in acc or run wire), light blue with red stripe(goes to illumination). the problem i think is the m100 plugs need to be switched into different spots in its holders to work right with the head unit. i checked my voltage with my digital voltmeter. i have 12V going through the key on wire but the radio still wont go on, the black ground wire is 0V which is good. the red wire is suppose to be a ground but there is 12V going through the red wire is that normal(this is with the key off and on). also the dark blue wire has constant 12V power with key on or off is that normal too. the illumination wire gets 12V when i turn on my headlights only which is right. the memory wire also has a constant 12V flowing through it which is normal. but why is the unit working when it wants to. it has to be a wiring problem cause it did the same thing with both jbl amplifiers and both headunits. if you have some diagrams that will help me out i really would appreciate it if you can send me them through email. remember i dont have the yellow with black stripe wire from the jbl amplifier hooked up to the key on power because according to the diagram i had it said for premium sound only. does it still need to be connected.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                  so let me tell you my progress so far on this shit. so far this system is a complete pain in the ass to hook up. i dont know what got myself into but the radio has a mind of its own.

so i got 2 jbl amplifiers from 1989 mark vii's i also got the complete wiring harness from one of them and so far it looks like i have all the wires wired up the right way. though the radio is being a pita it works when it wants to like it has a short internally or externally somewhere in the wiring. it will play and eventually the radio will cut out when i shut the car off when i turn the key back on the radio doesnt even light up but next morning it will work again. so i have 2 headunits 1 is from a 1989 mark vii and one is from a 1989 town car. the wiring on the m100 harness to the back of the radio is dark blue, red, yellow with black stripe, light green with yellow stripe, and a black wire.

i need to know what are all the pins on the back of the radios for and where they go. i only need the pin layout for the m100 plug long rectangualer grey plug. i need to make sure there in the right places. i took the plug from the 1989 town car i got that radio out of. i dont know if the jbl radio needs those pins in certain places to work. the color wires are light green with a yellow stripe(Memory Wire), black wire(Grounded at the bus ground connectors), dark blue wire(Goes directly to the amplifier's blue wire), red wire,(goes directly to the jbl amplifier red wire, not tapped to the other ground), yellow with black stripe(Goes to hot in acc or run wire), light blue with red stripe(goes to illumination). the problem i think is the m100 plugs need to be switched into different spots in its holders to work right with the head unit. i checked my voltage with my digital voltmeter. i have 12V going through the key on wire but the radio still wont go on, the black ground wire is 0V which is good. the red wire is suppose to be a ground but there is 12V going through the red wire is that normal(this is with the key off and on). also the dark blue wire has constant 12V power with key on or off is that normal too. the illumination wire gets 12V when i turn on my headlights only which is right. the memory wire also has a constant 12V flowing through it which is normal. but why is the unit working when it wants to. it has to be a wiring problem cause it did the same thing with both jbl amplifiers and both headunits. if you have some diagrams that will help me out i really would appreciate it if you can send me them through email. remember i dont have the yellow with black stripe wire from the jbl amplifier hooked up to the key on power because according to the diagram i had it said for premium sound only. does it still need to be connected.
                  From my experiences, the amp has a full time power supply, The amp is not turned on until radio is switched on. So it stands to reason that there will be 12 volts when the amp is off at the red (ground) wire (I think). I don't know about the other wire.

Comment

i emailed paul protos about this he knows more of these types of radios.

anyway here are some diagrams

Comment

Comment

If you hooked it up as per instructions, you should have no problems. I'd try different wiring harness then. Sounds like it's got something wrong with it.

Comment

wtf is logic mute?

Comment

i think thats something related to the cd changer option or maybe it mutes the amp when scanning frequencies on the radio.

Comment

i think thats something related to the cd changer option or maybe it mutes the amp when scanning frequencies on the radio.

i cant see there being a problem with the wiring harness. i will check my connections but i think it may be the headunit. what can possibly go bad in a wiring harness.

Comment

loose terminals... wires breaking at kink points... wires breaking from flexing... corrosion... lots of stuff. connections could just be plain dirty. might try cleaning the terminals.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X