• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then your headunit's fucked. Get another one, or have it rebuilt

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Well then your headunit's fucked. Get another one, or have it rebuilt

im getting it rebuilt after scottfest. problsbly will use yours until scottfest then. at least i can have music.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

The ground is in the power harness, plus I think it also grounds to some extend through it's mounting brackets. If one HU works and the other doesn't though, it pretty much nails it to a HU problem.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just got a message from paul this is what it said.

So,

You say this problem happens regardless of whether you replace the amp OR the radio???

Sounds like you are pushing the amp(s) to its limits and its overcurrent/overheat protection circuitry is kicking in. Are the speakers the original factory speakers or aftermarket replacements? If they are aftermarket, they need to be 8 Ohm units. If they are 4 Ohm, they will cause the amp to trip out.

I have never seen a wiring issue (power or ground) cause the problem you describe.

Paul

well all my speakers are jbl speakers except for the dash speakers which are aftermarket pyle speakers. dont know what the ohms rating is got to check that may be the problem.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

what size is the dash speakers so i know what to get. also my door speaker power and ground wires are powering my dash speakers too could that be the problem.
            Last edited by MattsLincoln; 07-10-2011, 02:08 AM.

Comment

another update. well i took out my dash speakers and yep they were 4 ohms so now i am running just ford jbl door speakers and rear deck speakers. and now no cutting out has happened i guess those 2 dash speakers were the problem. im happy now. now the hard part is finding 8 ohms speakers that will fit the dash speaker holes. if anyone has any they are selling or know links please send them to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                another update. well i took out my dash speakers and yep they were 4 ohms so now i am running just ford jbl door speakers and rear deck speakers. and now no cutting out has happened i guess those 2 dash speakers were the problem. im happy now. now the hard part is finding 8 ohms speakers that will fit the dash speaker holes. if anyone has any they are selling or know links please send them to me.
                If you can't find 8 ohm car speakers (which I doubt you will) you could always wire the dash and door speakers in series rather than parallel. This would reduce the load on the amp (while possibly lowering overall output). If you have two 4 ohm speakers in parallel you are presenting that amp with a 2 ohm load, which, as you found out it can't handle.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

5 inch 3 hole for factory... 4" with adapters (I have a set for $10 shipped - or I'll hand them to you at SF - the flat steel ones, not the thick plastic ones).

8ohm speakers can be found. You just have to search for component speakers... or get car speakers and wire a 4ohm power resistor (60-100W) in-line with one of the leads to the speakers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I told you the amp was overheating.

Comment

The factory wiring puts the dash and door speakers in parallel, so you're OK there.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well guess what the problem is still persisting. now its down to find out which of the 4 speakers left is putting out too much current. it has to be a speaker.

also slymer are those dash speakers 8 ohms.
                        Last edited by MattsLincoln; 07-11-2011, 01:39 AM.

Comment

That reminds me I should ohm out those speakers in my doors to make sure they'll behave with the jbl. They work with the stock premium sound, so I'd think it'd be ok with the JBL... who knows.

Comment

That reminds me I should ohm out those speakers in my doors to make sure they'll behave with the jbl. They work with the stock premium sound, so I'd think it'd be ok with the JBL... who knows.

i wonder how many ohms the jbl speakers make. and hopefully a speaker is causing this problem cause if not then i am out of ideas except for rebuild of headunit and amp.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                              i wonder how many ohms the jbl speakers make. and hopefully a speaker is causing this problem cause if not then i am out of ideas except for rebuild of headunit and amp.
                              You have all of the speakers there... unless you threw out the dash speakers from the towncar
                              However, you have to remember that the front speakers total resistance is less because they're wired in parallel.

Comment

You have all of the speakers there... unless you threw out the dash speakers from the towncar
                                However, you have to remember that the front speakers total resistance is less because they're wired in parallel.

my speakers came from a mark vii only 4 speakers. that town cars dash speakers where shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X