Humming from intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humming from intake

My P71 has developed a humming noise comming from the MAF and intake tube/zip tube area. When I first start it up, its hums like a SOB. It goes away after the car warms up but at certain low RPMs you can hear it still. I disconnected the intake box from the MAF sensor and the noise was a lot louder, so I figured it was a bad MAF. I replaced it ($140) and it is still doing it !! Its not as loud, but its still there. I am thinking it might be something to do with the intake tube, idk but its annoying as hell when I first start up. I will see if I can grab a video of it, gonna be starting her up in a little bit. But anyone have any ideas what the hell it is??
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Let's hear the noise first.

Comment

Here ya go, it sounds like its comming from the airbox but its NOT, as you will see towards the end of the video when I lift the cover off the box it does it louder and its comming from inside the intake tube. Idk what the hell is causing this, its very annoying.

-2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Bad gasket between the MAF and the housing? Crack in the intake tube? Bad vacuum leak?

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Some kind of restriction in that hose or so it sounds. My mom's 94 used to do this. I forget what was done to fix it (I was like 9 at the time).

Comment

Well figured it out. Its the IAC, apparently the noise has earned itself a nicknames as the IAC "tuba" sound. I had a shitty Autozone one in there, just swapped it out for a Ford one and its been fine.

Comment

IAC tuba... hehe. Nasty sound though... annoyed the hell outta my wife when I played the vid

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sweet!
                I'd frankly had NO clue, best I could guess was something hanging on in the intake and buzzing away.
                Have a look at the shitty IAC, can you see any thin, reed-like part (like on a woodwind instrument) that could buzz like that?

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                  Well figured it out. Its the IAC, apparently the noise has earned itself a nicknames as the IAC "tuba" sound. I had a shitty Autozone one in there, just swapped it out for a Ford one and its been fine.
                  That's good to know. Now that you mention it, I do remember someone mentioning a tuba after the car got fixed.

Comment

I have a similar issue with my 97 MGM, weird buzzing noise from the intake, the sound is not constant and it effects idle, sometimes when I'm stopped at a light the car will stall, but only when its buzzing, when the buzz is gone the car runs perfect, I guess I now know where to start! Thanks for your post very informative!

Comment

darn screwed up new thread system, could have told you weeks ago that it was the iac if i would have seen this post....sorry mang.......had a 4.0 explorer come in the shop one time doing just that and my boss chopped up the air box trying to fix it......then he gave up and passed it to me and i called the ford dealer for advice and they sent me a new iac and that fixed it.......my boss had to order the customer a new lower airbox lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                      X