a power steering question for my 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a power steering question for my 89

ok guys I need to know my power steering is crying when I turn left or right and I know there is a leak but should my pump do that after I fill it up the leak is on the biggest hose or is it a power steering seal or do I need to get a new pump

I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post.

If you're leaking from the pump, replace it. Costs $30ish (as of 2006, anyway) plus refundable deposit on pulley puller/installer set at AZ. Techless tip: if you paint the pulley while it's off, tape off the spindle hole.

Replacing hoses may be a good idea if they're in questionable condition. High-pressure hose is fairly cheap, and any chemical-resistant bulk hose, such as tranny cooler line, is good for repairing the low-pressure side.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post.

If you're leaking from the pump, replace it. Costs $30ish (as of 2006, anyway) plus refundable deposit on pulley puller/installer set at AZ. Techless tip: if you paint the pulley while it's off, tape off the spindle hole.

Replacing hoses may be a good idea if they're in questionable condition. High-pressure hose is fairly cheap, and any chemical-resistant bulk hose, such as tranny cooler line, is good for repairing the low-pressure side.
      well sorry for that the pump dose not look like is got a leak in it the only thing I can see are the hose but should it still be making the crying sound as soon as I fill it up if it was the hoses

Comment

Take a turkey baster and completely remove all of the fluid that is in there. I have heard people using type F trans fluid to quite down noisy power steering pumps.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

my manual for my 88 says the pump is supposed to use type F ATF. I probably need to get an in-line filter for mine... the fluid is rather ... dark. It doesn't groan at all though. Even when the original one was leaking... it would only gripe about it when the fluid was almost dry.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sometimes the pumps whine when they are worn out, sometimes they whine when they have too thin of fluid in there. If you're using power steering fluid for a Chrysler or a Honda, or basically anything that says "Power Steering Fluid," chances are it's too thin.

You can flush the power steering by disconnecting the LOW PRESSURE hose from the pump (don't disconnect the high pressure--very bad news). Start the engine and allow the fluid to empty into a bucket as you fill the reservoir with fresh Type F ATF (which is what the owner's manual calls for in the power steering pump on these things). Have a buddy run the steering wheel back and fourth a couple times while the engine's running to make sure you get all the old fluid and bubbles out of it.
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

this process goes VERY quickly... so have a gallon of type F ATF on hand. You'll never keep up with quart bottles. You'll absolutely need a buddy to turn the engine off when done too. Otherwise you'll just dump all the fluid back out before you can cut off the engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                Sometimes the pumps whine when they are worn out, sometimes they whine when they have too thin of fluid in there. If you're using power steering fluid for a Chrysler or a Honda, or basically anything that says "Power Steering Fluid," chances are it's too thin.

You can flush the power steering by disconnecting the LOW PRESSURE hose from the pump (don't disconnect the high pressure--very bad news). Start the engine and allow the fluid to empty into a bucket as you fill the reservoir with fresh Type F ATF (which is what the owner's manual calls for in the power steering pump on these things). Have a buddy run the steering wheel back and fourth a couple times while the engine's running to make sure you get all the old fluid and bubbles out of it.
                +1. Replace any leaking hoses, flush and fill with Type F, and see if the noise goes away.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Take a turkey baster and completely remove all of the fluid that is in there. I have heard people using type F trans fluid to quite down noisy power steering pumps.
                  The pump calls for Type F trans fluid. Scott swears that keeps them quiet. I'm running Dex/Merc in the pump and it's quiet and smooth.

It might be leaking from the lines. That was the case with mine. I'd turn the wheel to a lock and it'd squirt some out the pressure hose (YIKES!!!). I'd have to fill the pump every other day (car was a daily driver to school 67 miles per day). I replaced the lines, and everything was beautiful.

They also tend to make noise when there's air in the system, to purge the system, fill it up, turn it from lock to lock about 10 times and check fluid level while running.
                  Last edited by 86VickyLX; 06-03-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Scott is right. It shut mine right up.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

if the pump is real tight, dex/merc works fine. If its on the tired side like most pumps are, the thicker F shuts it up.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I found out the screaming like a banshee but not when I turn right the pump seems like it wants to cut off anyone can explain

Comment

What do you mean the pump seems like it wants to cut off?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            What do you mean the pump seems like it wants to cut off?
                            The whole car I mean nothing running

Comment

I turkey basted mine out using Dexron about a year ago when I had a hose spring a leak. Did that so I didn't need to add Type-F to the personal stock. Ran it, sucked it out again, refilled, did that one more time and called it good.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X