No announcement yet.

a power steering question for my 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pump IS a load on the engine. When you go to hard lock, the pressure rises precipitously. Many a modern car (I don't know, if ours are included) deliberately bump up idle speed if it detects that you're steering the car, so that you don't stall it out.
    So yeah, when the load on the engine is high, it's "normal" to bog down the engine. Could your pump be an excessive load for some reason, or the engine a little weak? Perhaps.

+1 on fluid type. I'm dealing with a leak on an '03 trailblazer, different car obviously. The leak has nothing to do with the noise: when the fluid is above the level of the pump's vanes, it's quiet. Once it's pumping air, the noise pokes its head out, and becomes loader and loader the less fluid there is (and the more air it's pumping). So if there's fluid above the level of the pump, it should be quiet. If it's not, even with fluid full, then I like the theory that your fluid is too thin. Type F tranny fluid is cheap enough.

+1 on replacing the pump. You don't KNOW that it's bad for sure, but it's so so cheap, while you've got your hands in there replacing pressure lines, just swap the pump. I had a bear of a time changing the pulley, but, I didn't know what I was doing when I did my pump.
    Anyone know if impacts are safe to use, to remove the pulley?
    And, anyone know of specific symptoms of a bad pump? I know it works with a rotary valve and two outlets. When you turn right, it allows the fluid to go in one direction, to aid you in your endeavor. When you turn left, the rotary valve turns and cuts the one outlet off, opens another, and the fluid goes in the other direction, helping you turn left. Just wondering if when a pump goes bad, if that valve can get frozen, or start leaking, etc., all affecting how it helps you turn-- or maybe even ending up fighting you? [pure speculation based on what I know of how the power steering pump works, so guessing at how it might go bad]

Finally, the only thing I've ever done is the pump and the lines. Anyone know if there's anything that could possibly be a symptom of the steering box that's right below the pump? I just don't know what they do when they start to go, so just wonderin.

Comment

I always wanted a noise that got "loader and loader" instead of boring old louder and louder.

Impact tools? On a pulley puller? Why would you even want to? Probably a good way to damage the tool, though.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

'cause it was really that stuck.

I was thinking about engine loads @the time that I typed "louder."
        Actually, loader and loader... just like a sound that is meloadious. Same root word ;-)

Comment

I've used inpacts on them before, but its not recommended. Especially on a pulley pullers. If your worried about it being noisy cause the fluid is too thin put some motor oil in it mixed with atf.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

hydraulic oil may be a better option than motor oil, but same idea.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Logical enough. I've read of guys using all-purpose tractor hydraulic oil in C4 transmissions, so probably a fine thing to run in a P/S pump if it's what you have on hand.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well I went looking for the f found it was only transmission fluid they said yep that what goes in it so I got home and start to look to drain the old out and found were the big leak was the non pressure hose was fine but the tube you hook the hose to was broke in two anyways I got a new power steering pump waiting for me and I am going to replace the pressure one just to make sure so after this there should not be nothing wrong unless it something else

Comment

Working...
                X