This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belts are screaming at me lol

ok well i done the water pump and the thermostat and the thermostat is still leaking I will fix the soon well all the belts look like the tight as the should be but when I crank her up the belts scream like the are bout to kill some one then they stop and they scream maybe one or two times after. my question is it the water form the thermostat or do I have a problem also it might be power steering fluid but I could see no water or other on the belts

well when I try to drive the belt were screaming and it felt like she was want to cut off and I can crank it one time and then I try to turn here over and I just get a buzzed now this is a new battery but I have not crank in her in 4 mouths at lest or more

Comment

Probably the battery was not very strong to begin with since you hadn't run the car in several months, and then you went to start the car a few times and it killed the battery, especially since if the belt is loose the alternator probably isn't charging as well as it could.

What I usually do is put a pair of vice grips on the alternator ear and use it as a lever to make sure I get the belt tight.

If I were you I'd just start by trying to jump it and see if that helps. A buzzing usually means the battery is just barely too weak to crank the engine over.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

[QUOTE=91waggin;624578]Probably the battery was not very strong to begin with since you hadn't run the car in several months, and then you went to start the car a few times and it killed the battery,
        since if the belt is loose the alternator probably isn't charging as well as it could.

What I usually do is put a pair of vice grips on the alternator ear and use it as a lever to make sure I get the belt tight.
        But see the belts are tight lol

I were you I'd just start by trying to jump it and see if that helps. A buzzing usually means the battery is just barely too weak to crank the engine over.
        I have to try to jump it it work fine but I think I am going to take it to auto zone the battery it self and see

Comment

if you have a jump box, you can use it like a charger: put it in parallel with your car battery (as if you were going to jump start it) and plug in the jumpbox to charge: it will charge both batteries together.
          I've done it, it works.

I once had a squealing noise that turned out to be the power steering fluid. It was already leaking a little, I'm sure, but doing the water pump I'd disturbed the power steering pump enough to spill the fluid below the level of the pump's vanes.
          At the time, I was green enough I didn't know what a power steering pump with some air getting into it sounded like. Sure that's not it? Fluid level OK?

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            if you have a jump box, you can use it like a charger: put it in parallel with your car battery (as if you were going to jump start it) and plug in the jumpbox to charge: it will charge both batteries together.
            I've done it, it works.

I once had a squealing noise that turned out to be the power steering fluid. It was already leaking a little, I'm sure, but doing the water pump I'd disturbed the power steering pump enough to spill the fluid below the level of the pump's vanes.
            At the time, I was green enough I didn't know what a power steering pump with some air getting into it sounded like. Sure that's not it? Fluid level OK?
            well the power steering is way bad I can fell it up and it will be gone but it was like that before hand to but never the squealing until I change the water pump and thermostat now she dose

Comment

is the belt worn out? No cracks or glazing? dead belts will squeal. The belts on these cars need to be real damn tight to not squeal.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                is the belt worn out? No cracks or glazing? dead belts will squeal. The belts on these cars need to be real damn tight to not squeal.
                One is new the other got put in early 2010

Comment

Working...
                X