My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

I have a 1989 Lincoln Town Car that I have been playing with for about 3/4 year now. Started off wanting to put a 460 in this car I just bought. Well then it evolved from there. I decided to get a 557 stroker short block. I started porting a set of the good early oem heads Then decided to go with the Ford racing alum scj heads. They were a PIA since the intake and exhaust valves take diff length pushrods. Decided to use weiand cj intake. Comp cams deh265 since it has the same specs as the oem cj cam from 70-71. Hogged out some stock cj exhaust manifolds to match the scj exhaust ports then took out all the extra metal obstructions in all the runners. 2.5 dual exhaust with hooker aerochambers. JW ultrabell to mate to a very modified aod with lockup disabled. No lockup makes heat so on went the 35 gvr cooler. 327:1 with traction lock. And yes it is a 96 rear reflector I didn't like the 89 and original was in bad shape. Now, I just gotta get er done (little joke there) but I did feel like Tim Taylor every time i thought it just needs more power!!!!
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Power shouldn't be an issue after this project hits the road/track! Going with a 9" rear?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

wow. very interesting.

how far from on the road is this? Is it running a c6 tranny?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

i like!!!! and imn jealousof that steeringwheel!
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          Is it running a c6 tranny?

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
          JW ultrabell to mate to a very modified aod with lockup disabled.

Comment

What did you use for motor mounts? Which casting number exhaust manifolds? Mustang or Torino? Weiand Stealth CJ intake? Does the carb clear the hood?
            Last edited by Mercracer; 06-09-2011, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I love it. More pics and info!!!!!
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The only problem you will have with this is stopping. Awesome build otherwise. Welcome!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nicely done.

I can't see from the pictures... what are you using for a TV cable/ system?
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Couple of more weeks and I should be on the road. Motor mounts are trans dapt truck mounts with the arms cut off and bushing re welded straight to the frame plate (from Summit). Manifolds are the mustang cjs they have the straighter exit on the drivers side the torino had the odd looking quick turn I didn't like. Weiand 8021 is the intake. I'm not sure yet if it clears the hood. I hope if it doesn't I can use the 80s mustang GT scoop that gives 2" more clearance. I have the rear disc change over but will probably wait until the rear brakes need changed. I used lokar throttle cable and lokar tv cable. I still have the 8.8 rear. I am thinking I will need to change it when it dies but I did put on the cover brace to keep the c clamps in place to give me a little more time till till the dreaded boom!!!
                    sigpic
                    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Wow.

Wow.

WOW!

Glad you are here
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

oh my wow. excuse me while i pick up my jaw
                        2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                        2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                        1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

SWEET. I like where this is going. It will kick arse and surprise more than a few people. It would be great if the intake cleared under the stock hood...then she would be a REAL sleeper! I want to put a built AOD behind the 429 in my '68 Galaxie and would love to know more about how you set yours up. I started the old Ford game with a '76 Thunderbird with 460/C6 and I originally planned to do porting, 40 over, 9.5:1 etc but that never materialized. I wanted to do a 521 stroker in my '79 Town Car, but the issues with the glass roof scared me out of keeping that car. I had the big-block blinders on until I picked up my '81 F-150 with the 302 and I'm warming up to the small-blocks. I'm not made of money and want to actually be able to afford to drive my toys. Those big blocks drink!
                          Last edited by RyPow; 06-09-2011, 02:17 PM. Reason: typos
                          RyPow
                          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                            Couple of more weeks and I should be on the road. Motor mounts are trans dapt truck mounts with the arms cut off and bushing re welded straight to the frame plate (from Summit). Manifolds are the mustang cjs they have the straighter exit on the drivers side the torino had the odd looking quick turn I didn't like. Weiand 8021 is the intake. I'm not sure yet if it clears the hood. I hope if it doesn't I can use the 80s mustang GT scoop that gives 2" more clearance. I have the rear disc change over but will probably wait until the rear brakes need changed. I used lokar throttle cable and lokar tv cable. I still have the 8.8 rear. I am thinking I will need to change it when it dies but I did put on the cover brace to keep the c clamps in place to give me a little more time till till the dreaded boom!!!
                            I would recommend big brakes in the front. So you're gonna run an AOD behind this thing?

Comment

Sorry, I got no words for this awesomeness!

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X