My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got the hook just a bit better to cut 0-60 down by 1/2sec. I was hoping for more but will go back and do some more tuning. I noticed I am running a bit lean on the top end so I need a little more jet on the secondaries. For the lower end being able to start off at full throttle would help. Still can't hit wide open till over 30mph.

The grind at the beginning is the window going down right beside the mic.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater
      sigpic
      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

They make a sweet App for smart phones called Car Performance where you can do 0-60 and a whole bunch of other tests. It uses GPS and allows you to keep both hands on the wheel. Just saying, sir.
        Besides that, it sounds awesome. I'm glad to see your build progressing! Keep up the good work!!

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Doh!!! Forgot to deflate the tires to 28psi. Well, try try again.
          sigpic
          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Engine in the air

Had a request for a pic of the engine from the side. Forgot part of the "In progress" part of the thread.

Who forgets pics of the engine flying into the car? It's a classic!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	15335585_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1270191Click image for larger version

Name:	15335586_large.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1270192Click image for larger version

Name:	15335587_large.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1270193
            sigpic
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
              They make a sweet App for smart phones called Car Performance where you can do 0-60 and a whole bunch of other tests. It uses GPS and allows you to keep both hands on the wheel. Just saying, sir.
              Besides that, it sounds awesome. I'm glad to see your build progressing! Keep up the good work!!

-ryan s.
              I am soooo behind the times!!!!! Might it work on the flip phone?
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

You need a phone with GPS and android/iOS(apple)
                so if you don't have a smart phone, I doubt it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

jesus....... one question, will it be at SF this year?
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

A little update on the Cobra Jet,

I was fine with the 3 core brass radiator until the a/c condenser went in. Only on the freeway clipping away at 3K+ and with the a/c running temps were as high as 240 on a 70 degree day!!! Had to change to a Griffin performance radiator. Now I can keep it down to 190. Can't wait to see what happens with 90+ degree days. I wasn't worried about the fan because I could drive it non stop around town with a/c blowing in 90+ temps. Water temp stayed at 180.

This is the final under hood configuration. I was able to take a little more time making brackets und stuff for the radiator and fan this time. I didn't get the overdrive in due to sickness and loss of a pet over the winter. You sort of get attached to those darn animals when they had been around for 19 years. Well there is always next winter.

Also while continuing to dial in the carb. I discovered my air fuel gauge is reading one full number richer then it should. I had been tuning the idle to 13 and noticed it ran much smoother around 12. My plugs were a little light also. I have re-jetted taking this into consideration and increased timing by 2 degrees It just keeps getting meaner. I hope to make it to Dragway 42 in Salem, Ohio for the meet in a couple weeks. I haven't had it to the track yet!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0672.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1272569Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0673.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1272570Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0674.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1272571Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0626.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1272572
                    sigpic
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

yeah... you get attached to pets. My in-laws had a cat that lived to be 23 years old. An outdoor cat too. Though, these seem to be the exceptions. Most cats seem to only make around 10-13 years. I say this with a 14 year old cat still with us and one that went at 11 (both from the same litter).

Back to the car... this is the most full of awesome car that's not some insanely priced sports car/exotic on the planet IMHO. The only thing it needs is custom intake pipes instead of the ducts... but that's just a looks thing (MOAR CHROME!). This car is epic.

Comment

Nicely done!!! That is so friggin awesome!

My cat is 12-13 years old (we don't know her actual age) and she is always inspecting my work; whether it be on the car or when I clean the litter box.

Packman

Comment

My optimistic winter updates, journey into things I have never done before.
                          I know I should have started here first. Has driven me nuts holding back so I don't take out a rear quarter panel or worse!

1) Rear disc brakes
                          2) 31 spline axels and carrier, bearings, seals.
                          3) Get axel tubes welded to housing.
                          4) Changing to PI rear sway bar (hate the way Addco bar attaches)
                          5) Box lower arms

I'll post some updates along the way.
                          sigpic
                          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Are you going to do poly bushings out back too?
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You know, that's a darn good idea!!!
                              sigpic
                              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                                Are you going to do poly bushings out back too?
                                Does ENS make poly bushings for rear upper arms?

Comment

Working...
                                X