My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 81_TC View Post
    If it's a C6, a tv cable or rod is not required.
    He said in the first post and again thereafter, that he is using an AOD with the JW bell.

Larry, does the block require any clearancing to fit the 557 rotating assembly? For a long time I was on the fence about what will power my coupe in its next iteration. This route would fulfill a couple of my objectives, and also keep it all Ford.

With the engine dropped in, does it look like there would be room for headers? Obviously off the shelf units are far from an option, but I was planning on having custom long tubes made for my next build anyway.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      I have no clue as to why though, as I can see vent windows which are far superior to that over complicated, headache inducing BS known as air conditioning.
      Ever driven a Towncar in a hot humid area without working AC? It *sucks*. Imagine sitting in a heavily padded cloth La-Z-Boy recliner on a hot summer day for potentially hours at a time with a fan that makes lots of noise but doesn't really blow air on you.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sometimes the 4.5 crack will clear the block. It can depend also if the engine is internally balanced or ext. balanced. At the most a few millimeters here or there may need to come off. Plenty of room for headers on the drivers side. Not as much room on the passenger's side though. I would need to modify my evaporator to clear or move the whole engine over a bit.

I want to thank everyone for the compliments and taking an interest.
        sigpic
        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Ever driven a Towncar in a hot humid area without working AC? It *sucks*. Imagine sitting in a heavily padded cloth La-Z-Boy recliner on a hot summer day for potentially hours at a time with a fan that makes lots of noise but doesn't really blow air on you.
          that's a bad one... I've done the vinyl seat truck in Texas summer with no AC... thankfully though... it had real vent windows.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

update

Been doing some work and had the car on the road. Everyone stops to see where that sound is coming from. I didn't realize how it would sound. A little louder then I expected with 2.5 dual with h-pipe and aerochambers all the way to the back with turn downs. Just got my scoop today but only put the holes in so far for the studs. The heat index was 101f today and I was soaked by that point. I will be painting it semi-flat black and putting the CobraJet emblems on the sides. Can't wait to put a good air cleaner on and close the hood. Still letting it break in a while before seeing what it will do.Click image for larger version

Name:	6-27-11 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1265344Click image for larger version

Name:	6-27-11 007.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1265345Click image for larger version

Name:	6-30-11 001.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1265346Click image for larger version

Name:	7-21-11 002.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1265347Click image for larger version

Name:	7-21-11 003.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1265348Click image for larger version

Name:	7-21-11 005.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1265349Click image for larger version

Name:	6-27-11 004.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1265350
            sigpic
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Wow!!

Ever think about some exhaust cutouts just behind the front wheels?

Looks awesome.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Duuude, love the sleeper look. Should do what a guy did years ago with an EFI351 and had the factory cowl raised to clear the intake. Looked factory.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

That car is effin' SEEECK! Makes five-ohs look pretty lame!
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Make a video for us, so we can hear what it sounds like
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

VERY cool looking.

I gotta say though, flat black only looks good if you do a VERY consistent job, which is supposedly very difficult. Plus, you think it's hot in that thing with glossy white paint...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

That town car is pure awsome.

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
                        351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
                        duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Wow that car puts my user name to shame. It looks amazing. I can't imagine the hours you've put into it so far, but it sure is paying off.
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS- "Sarah" 122k miles

1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV- 275k? miles

Comment

Just the hood scoop is going to be black. I am keeping the rest of the car white.
                            sigpic
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

I'm going to second the notion for video! I'd love to know what it sounds like!

sigpic
                              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

id be willing to come down and take video even!!!
                                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                                X