'80 Mark VI 351W build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Not entirely true. There have been accounts where people have had to have the holes drilled out on a set of GT40s. Including Lincolnmania.
    Your odds of getting struck by lightning are better than the odds of finding a set of 7/16" GT40s...

Comment

Originally posted by 81_TC View Post
      Nice choice. When I did my motor I put 69 351 heads on without and modification and It brought the compression ratio up to 10.5:1. If you want the best bang for your buck that DUAL plain intake will work just fine.
      You must have had a 351W with flat top pistons and no dish... Not the norm for anything past 1970. For the price of a factory iron 4V you can find a much better aftermarket aluminum which would give you far more bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_LSS View Post
        I would like at least 250-275 hp. I'm building on a buget, So I can't really go all out but take what I can get for the right price.
        Another way of saying this is that you'd likely be better off running your original engine, provided it's still reliable, until you've had time to save up for parts that would make your project actually worthwhile. Seriously, some guys seem to waste a lot of money buying parts that are just one step up from what they have, then one step beyond that, and one step beyond that .....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

you could buy my motor, but shipping to canada would kill you
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
            Your odds of getting struck by lightning are better than the odds of finding a set of 7/16" GT40s...
            i had to get them drilled ed. not lying mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              i had to get them drilled ed. not lying mang
              I believe you. My point is that they are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Another way of saying this is that you'd likely be better off running your original engine, provided it's still reliable, until you've had time to save up for parts that would make your project actually worthwhile. Seriously, some guys seem to waste a lot of money buying parts that are just one step up from what they have, then one step beyond that, and one step beyond that .....
                The most common build on this site is guys making stepped improvements. Most cars never make it past a HO upgrade. At least people are working on their stuff...

Comment

Well the way I see it, one step up is better then nothing at all. I pay'd $40 for the intake. So its not like I wasted a bunch of cash on it.

And just another update. With a new daily driver on the way, I will now be able to lay the car up for a while, and take my time on it. So if I happen to find better parts along the way for the right price I'll grab them. Since my build plans arnt set in stone, they are just a rough idea.

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
                  351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
                  duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Here is the other thing... the 1969 351W 4V engine with its low rise iron intake made far more power than did the VV topped 5.8 in the Crown Vics. In a 3800lb car it would do high 14s. The moral of the story is that the addition of this intake is not a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Not entirely true. There have been accounts where people have had to have the holes drilled out on a set of GT40s. Including Lincolnmania.
                      ...including me too...they're not too rare in the northeast.

A low compression, mid-80's, 2bbl 351w smog motor could never hope to keep up with a '69 351w....that's like comparing apples to oak trees. That intake will get the project going for sure...but it's far from flowing close to any aftermarket offerings. I'd put my focus into decent heads and cam and you can always upgrade the intake and carb later...hell, stepped upgrades are the reason it's so fun to tinker with cars...I don't think I could build a motor once and call it done...it would drive me nuts.

Good luck!
                      -Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                      X