Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 tc burning oil.

Hi guys.

Well i know i have the 4.6's famous valve problem, the problem is that when i i sit and idle for more than a few minutes when i go to move i blow a plume of blueish smoke, but i have checked in every other situation and there is no sign of smoke at all and i have driven the car over 1000 miles so far with no oil loss. So i guess my big question is here if i throw a can of restore and a quart of Lucas in there now and with every oil change up until September when i can take it in to actually fix the problem will i be ok? BTW i have a 93 town car with 230000 miles, other than the smoke thing it runs and drive like a dream on top of that its a rust free car in mint condition, so to me it is very worth investing the 500+ for the valve work, considering i got the car for practically nothing!!!! Thanks guys.

R Lugo.

My 92 burned a qt every 200 miles.

As long as you keep an eye on your oil level, you'll be fine. I'd recommend against putting any snake oil in it, maybe just the generic High Mileage version of your favorite oil.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I burn oil like it's going out of style. Like Zach said, just keep an eye one your oil. The good news is that you're planning on fixing it. I will fix mine shortly; in the form of a newer PI motor
      Good luck mang!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'm gonna get mine fixed via giving Scottmang the tool and helping him fix my car the day before SF.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

thanks guys, oil change will get done as soon as i get the car back, its been in the shop getting brakes done and axle shafts, the guy who sold me the car owns a shop and is fixing alot of stuff free to me so i cant complain much. i have been quoted around 500 to get the valves done so it will get done here soon. another thing guys, maybe i should ask in another section but here it goes, about every two days i blow my air suspension fuse, what could this be? thanks.

Comment

keep it full of oil till you can either swap the engine or replace the valve seals......alot of guys go to the 01+ engine cause they have more power and no valve seal issues.......the trade off for more power is a pos plastic intake manifold.

you got a short somehwere, or the compressor is getting weak.......that should be a circuit breaker for the air suspension pump but i'm not 100% on that. maybe someone else will chime in

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Does the back end drop overnight? If so, you've got leaks and most likely the compressor is just running way too much. Its possible that its near death at this point if it has to bring the back end up every day. If someone converted it to coils, then you should just pull the fuse for the air suspension and let it be.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it dont drop overnight, but it does seem to jack way way up while driving and then level back out while its parked. back to the oil issue, is the engine swap recommended or will i be fine doing the valve seals? and what do you think a swap would cost w/ labor? thanks guys.

edit: LKQ in my area says $1,025 for just the engine, that's a little more than i would like to spend.....
                Last edited by jrlugo45; 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I just spent $400 on a 06 CVPI motor and transmission.
                  So, yes, thats a bit high.

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                  X