Rubber Hose Behind Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Hose Behind Water Pump

I was at the junkyard yesterday, and there was this 1992 Crown Victoria there. The water pump was off, and some other stuff, but I noticed that there was this coolant hose that ran from behind or below the water pump running into the valley of the engine. I couldn't see much because the intake manifold was in the way. And I thought to myself, 'What a fucking dumb design', so my question to you guys is, do all of the 4.6 engines use that design, or was it an early model thing?

the aeros with the metal intake have that one for sure... dunno if the later plastic intakes have it going under still. I've got half a mind to cut the damn end of the pipe off next time that rubber nipple breaks and run heater hose from the pump to the pipe. Yeah... all 4 inches. Bastage design that it is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yup, they have it. Its the heater core feed, and to properly service it, you need to remove the intake manifold. yes, its a very stupid design.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That dumb line broke 2 days after Christmas a few years ago. (I guess from being stuck in the snow, and going to WOT often...)
        I had the remove the intake manifold and all the dumb shit.
        IT BLOWS!!!!! Replace with rubber hose when possible!!

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
          That dumb line broke 2 days after Christmas a few years ago. (I guess from being stuck in the snow, and going to WOT often...)
          I had the remove the intake manifold and all the dumb shit.
          IT BLOWS!!!!! Replace with rubber hose when possible!!

-ryan s.
          That line scares me.

Comment

I can't remember if it was '98+ or '01+ but at some point Ford changed it to a solid metal line that is far less likely to pop than the metal&rubber line the older cars had. Its good practice to replace it if/when you replace the intake manifold. Mine was in nearly perfect shape when I changed my intake at 80k miles and I didn't have a new one so I left it alone.
            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
              I can't remember if it was '98+ or '01+ but at some point Ford changed it to a solid metal line that is far less likely to pop than the metal&rubber line the older cars had. Its good practice to replace it if/when you replace the intake manifold. Mine was in nearly perfect shape when I changed my intake at 80k miles and I didn't have a new one so I left it alone.
              Probably the same time they made the dumb plastic intake...

Comment

Working...
              X