top speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top speed?

ok so i was jus being a dumbass today and decided to see how fast i could get the 88 grand marquis to go of course its only got the 85mph speedometer, but i had the needle way past that and dang near straight down and it was still climbing. I figured id better stop before i broke something or god knows what else, so my ? is anyone got a rough figure of what the top speed on these cars is stock.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

110 stock and in good condition, maybe a bit more.

I've personally hit 110 with the car in my sig with relative ease, but it's likely a couple hundred pounds lighter and obviously a slightly more powerful engine.
    I'd be comfortable claiming 110 if the engine is in decent order.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Not sure but I did go a buck twenty a few years back on Ocean Parkway (super flat and long run next to the beaches) with no mods and massive 235/75/15's on the rear which would make the speedo read slower. I have videos floating around of me going about 115 coming back from Scotts from April 2009 as well.

Here is said crappy video

http://s715.photobucket.com/player.s...fs=1&os=1&ap=1
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fastest I've gone in Vicky was 120mph.

Comment

When I first did the HO swap in 98 in my 89 GM w/3.55 gears mine went 135 flat out running from the cops.Unfortunately couldn't run from the radio & spent the night in jail ,took an ass kicking & got 25 tickets for my efforts lol.Cops were in late 90's Caprices & said they were flat out at 125 & I was driving away from them.

Comment

thanks i was guessing right around the 120ish are and btw i really hope to see the brown blob next month
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

I've had mine around 120, then the heater core blew up. Fair warning about that, make sure you have a restrictor in the line to the core if you plan to wind the motor up a lot, it does bad things to the cooling system parts. I found that about 100 mph is when the grille dislocates on an 85-87 Towncar. I have also had the Mark VII verified over 120 mph on the GPS just to shoot down the notion that they have a 115 mph speed limiter in the ECM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would like the chance to wind my out but Florida doesn't seem to believe in much of a highway system so I don't really get the chance. I did blow past a buddy of mine on a large bridge here in town. He said that he was going a little over 110 when I flew by him. My speedo is still way off so I can't say how fast I was going. But IF someone knows how to do the math I was spinning about 6250 rpm in third gear(T-5) and I have 3.55's with 275 /60R15 tires.
                1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                  I would like the chance to wind my out but Florida doesn't seem to believe in much of a highway system so I don't really get the chance. I did blow past a buddy of mine on a large bridge here in town. He said that he was going a little over 110 when I flew by him. My speedo is still way off so I can't say how fast I was going. But IF someone knows how to do the math I was spinning about 6250 rpm in third gear(T-5) and I have 3.55's with 275 /60R15 tires.
                  Power/speed calculator says between 111- 113.
                  Last edited by Mustang Eddie; 07-24-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Eddie View Post
                    Power/speed calculator says between 111- 113.
                    that's what I got too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I stop at 100. Car will go faster but its pretty floaty.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Eddie View Post
                        When I first did the HO swap in 98 in my 89 GM w/3.55 gears mine went 135 flat out running from the cops.Unfortunately couldn't run from the radio & spent the night in jail ,took an ass kicking & got 25 tickets for my efforts lol.Cops were in late 90's Caprices & said they were flat out at 125 & I was driving away from them.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I've never pushed mine past 75 or 80, she runs out of steam quickly, but I imagine I could go faster if I had more road....and time. 55 is the limit here Not that I care lol

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                            I stop at 100. Car will go faster but its pretty floaty.

Likewise.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Ahh yes to be young & dumb lol

Comment

Working...
                              X