302 cfi average mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 cfi average mpg?

hey fellas, its been a while. good to see things changed for the better. i still got my 85 cv and the galaxies. good things.

my cfi is averaging about 14mpg. the car has already gotten a tune up. timing is at 11 degrees. still at 14mpg.

what do you guys think it might be?
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

city or highway?

how new is the O2 sensor?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

14mpg highway
      o2 sensor 2 months old
      sigpic
      67 Ltd tudor
      67 Ltd 4door
      85 Ltd 4door

Comment

it has to be running lean then my cfi gets 24MPG on the highway dont believe me ask 86VickyLX.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Rebuilt motor, cfi, headers, dual exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner gets me 25 mpg on highway with 3.08 open gears. And about 19 in the city. But if I take off hard every time, its closer to 14-16.

My $0.02

Blane
          85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
          09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
          79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
          64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

how do i lean out the cfi?! is it that black knob that sits between the two sad little injectors.
            sigpic
            67 Ltd tudor
            67 Ltd 4door
            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Originally posted by 85ltd View Post
              Rebuilt motor, cfi, headers, dual exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner gets me 25 mpg on highway with 3.08 open gears. And about 19 in the city. But if I take off hard every time, its closer to 14-16.

My $0.02

Blane
              Lucky bastard! My poor 84 gets 20, highway, maybe. 3.08 rear end, dual exhaust, new cap, rotor, wires, air filter (by cleaner do you mean the entire housing or..?), injectors, egr solenoid, egr valve. All that and she still gives me stumbling fits now and again. Cleaned out the system twice with Seafoam already. Meh, I'm of the opinion I need to work over the motor. How much of a rebuild did you do? I'll have to look into it, because those kinds of numbers are exactly what I need.
              1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
              1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

heck... my 88 EFI gets 14. (gonna do a mileage run this weekend for highway)

I do tend to take off like a bat outta hell... the wide range gears in the trans makes the get up and go much nicer than it was originally... and this is on 2.73 gears. The low end torque would be epic with some 3.73 or better out back.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by flyb0t View Post
                  Lucky bastard! My poor 84 gets 20, highway, maybe. 3.08 rear end, dual exhaust, new cap, rotor, wires, air filter (by cleaner do you mean the entire housing or..?), injectors, egr solenoid, egr valve. All that and she still gives me stumbling fits now and again. Cleaned out the system twice with Seafoam already. Meh, I'm of the opinion I need to work over the motor. How much of a rebuild did you do? I'll have to look into it, because those kinds of numbers are exactly what I need.
                  The rebuild was a stock master rebuild, whole thing costed me maybe $700, with all the extras. And I am using a Spectre air cleaner, the pancake thingy. Probably doesn't do much, but looks badass and sounds cool. I don't have catalytic converters or a smog system at all. The gas mileage is great for right now, but a lil Honda is still needed.

Blane
                  85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                  09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                  79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                  64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

The A/F is not adjustable on a CFI motor. If there are no vacuum leaks, the only other thing that usually makes it gobble fuel is a bad O2 sensor. they almost never set codes or exhibit any other running problems when the O2 fails. When one is right, 20+ mpg on the highway with stock gears is about right.

flyb0t: have you replaced the timing chain? The random stumble is a symptom of a worn out chain. They used crappy plastic cam gears on those year cars and the chain develops serious amounts of slop, both from age and wear. They are often shot before the 100k point. Conversely, with the double roller chain that most 86+ engines have, they're usually serviceable to 200k or better. I replaced one at 225k on my Mark VII and it really wasn't that bad.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      flyb0t: have you replaced the timing chain? The random stumble is a symptom of a worn out chain. They used crappy plastic cam gears on those year cars and the chain develops serious amounts of slop, both from age and wear. They are often shot before the 100k point. Conversely, with the double roller chain that most 86+ engines have, they're usually serviceable to 200k or better. I replaced one at 225k on my Mark VII and it really wasn't that bad.
                      Hmm, haven't looked at the timing chain yet. Will have to check, if that's the case, it's something that got overlooked, because every other thing about the car had been replaced or verified working.

Also, 85ltd, I've gotta run emissions stuff on my car, do you think that has any part in your improved mileage? And $700 for a rebuild doesn't sound too bad.
                      1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
                      1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

Haven't posted lately, but this interests me. '84 GM w/cfi. Was getting 18mpg/highway, but that's partly because of a set of 3.55's that came w/the car. But also...
                        I have several extra cfi units, so I pulled them all apart. Took one of the injector electrical connectors and wired it up to a wall wart set at 6v and a momentary switch I had laying around. Took the injectors, popped the screens out of the top of them, snapped on the pigtail, put gas line over the nose, poured in acetone, grabbed my air gun, pushed down the switch, and blew them out backwards. Nasty crap!! Repeat un til the acetone comes out clean. Then I grabbed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator ("They" say you can make your's adjustable, but I had a good one laying around, so...) and put the injectors and regulator in a cleaned-up tb, and bolted it on. Even before I put a 3.08 underneath it, I picked up 3 mpg. There's a schrader valve underneath a black cap on one side of the injector tops. A tire guage works, but you have to be careful not to spew gas spray all over the place. The stock regulator was having a hard time keeping pressure constant, and would fluctuate between 30-35#. I set the adjustable one to 42#, lost all stumble, and the O2 sensor adjusts to keep the mixture right. Haven't changed the timing chain yet, but that will come with a Summit 3600 cam and a bored-out TB, mustang shorties and an h-pipe.
                        Alll emission stuff is off, but I'm planning on putting an egr back on as soon as I find the right coolant switch in a JY. No point in paying $35 for that!Still have a 1st gen MegaSquirt box in the garage, and if the stock ecu can't deal with all of this, there's always that option.
                        '84 Grand Marquis
                        Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

could a bad tps cause poor fuel milage?!

dumb question:
                          would my tbi benefit any if i put 1 inch spacer under the cfi module ?!
                          sigpic
                          67 Ltd tudor
                          67 Ltd 4door
                          85 Ltd 4door

Comment

EGR system not working correctly can kill economy.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I got 20-21 MPG highway (crap mileage around town) in mine when it was CFI, with no EGR hooked up. Of course I drove it like grandpa because it didn't like hard acceleration.
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X