Inertia Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inertia Switch Question

A previous owner bypassed the Fuel Inertia Swich on my 1995 GM (by just splcing the input and output wires together). Not sure if the switch is defective or if they were doing some "Derby" driving and didn't want it to trip off. In any event, does this cause a drain on the battery, when the car is off or is it just like before when power only goes through it when you turn on the key (or at least I think that is how it works)??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

it's just a switch. power only goes through it when power is supplied when the car is on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Aside from the safety issue, I can leave it bypassed??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

pretty much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its just to shut off the pump in case you get in an accident. Power only goes through it when the key is on and the fuel pump relay is pulled in. I'd probably fix it though. You will likely never actually need it but if you do, you'll be glad its there.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It may be fine and perhaps only the wires need to be re-attached. I guess I'll find out when I do it and test it over a period of time to make sure it is working properly!!

Comment

I've never triggered the intertia switch accidentally. Including when I had my accident, the engine continued to run, granted you didn't feel much shock, but I would've thought that the front end getting crunched in would set the thing off. I've purposely set it off (to do fuel filter, and other fuel system work).

Comment

From what I understand it takes a pretty good shock to trip it. Might have to happen in the rear but not sure about that...

Comment

probably have a better chance of setting it off if the car got rear-ended. Its not very sensitive on purpose though. If it was real touchy, everyone that lived in an area with crappy roads would bypass the things because it would shut the car off every pothole.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X