No announcement yet.

90' mustang LX 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that'd be why you can't slam gears in a T5, especially if your shifter doesn't have stops. The forks break. Put the AOD back in. You'll never snap a shift fork in one of those.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My shifter has stops. This car will never be an automatic again.
      When I get the tranny out, I'm going to pull the top off and see what all got damaged. If its not to bad I'm just going to order the parts and rebuild it. If there is a lot of damage I'm just gonna look for another cheapy to toss in there really quick just to keep it mobile.

When tax time comes around I'm gonna start looking for a deal on a t56.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        What for? Isn't yours already a 5 speed?
        I'm in the middle of swaping a 5.0 5 speed into a baby ltd and having a hard time finding a pedal assy. and bell housing.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

NICE CAR!I've popped lots of t-5's, always 3rd gear, never broken\bent a fork. Be sure to inspect the cluster as well. The one w\ the broken case was due to the selector pin moving around & selecting 2 gears @ once.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            that'd be why you can't slam gears in a T5, especially if your shifter doesn't have stops. The forks break. Put the AOD back in. You'll never snap a shift fork in one of those.
            He'll blow the rest of it, i've lost my faith in stock AOD's since i've broken both of mine under stock lopo power. If you can do a 5spd swap sucessfully more power to you, wish I had that ability because if I did my Lincoln would have it's AOD torn out by now.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I think if you don't try to turn these cars into "race cars" and run the shit out of them, AOD's tend to hold up. I would think most automatics will have issues under "aggressive" driving!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                I think if you don't try to turn these cars into "race cars" and run the shit out of them, AOD's tend to hold up. I would think most automatics will have issues under "aggressive" driving!
                +1

Comment

AODs largely fail from poor maintenance, and then they get poorly rebuilt and burn up quickly. You can beat on one that gets its fluid changed every 30k miles and has a cooler on it with properly adjusted pressure. It will self destruct quickly even if you drive like an old lady if the fluid overheats and bakes because the clutches are slipping though. I like the AOD, but I recognize that its got shortcomings. If you know what they are and how to deal with them, its really not a bad transmission. It is a porky power hog though, so you definitely gain performance on a stock motor by swapping it for a manual.

That said, and despite my non-avarice for the AOD, I want a T5 in my Mark VII. It needs other work much more desperately though, so thats going to have to wait till I either hit it big or the AOD blows up.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was one hard launch away from grenading my old t5. I think one of the biggest problems though, is that almost all used t5's have been beat to all hell.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If you need/want a spare set, I have 86-93 LX tails (Dynomax 2.5") that I can sell you cheap, as well as a set of Hooker Aerochamber mufflers. Stuff I bought for my old 87 LX that the new owner didn't want.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Well update finally. I picked up a t5 off of Craigslist last week. Gonna try to get it in there this week. Warm weather is getting here I had to get it going again lol.

Note to self: Do not race Harley's this time.

I'll have a v8 e6zr t5 bell housing for sale also if anyone is interested.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Not to be rude, but this is far from a grand marq, why post here?\

Comment

This is for readers rides, not specifically grand marquis/panthers. We even have an area called (the dark side) where you can post your non fomoco vehicles.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

and because we generally like things that move... even some chevys (but those are posted in The Dark Side).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

And he's the one I bought my car with the purple rims from & put back together. Also, he just got a Mark VII in the same silver color.
                                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                                X