PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Why are my lower ball joints destroying my cotter pins?

Default Why are my lower ball joints destroying my cotter pins?

This is on nearly a daily basis. Before work I am having to tighten my ball joint nut and replace my cotter pins.. a lot, in fear that my lower ball joint will fall out like that one horrible time. I'm installing them correctly and snug as far as I know, and for whatever reason there getting snapped around the neck. Btw, these are from the cotter pin box you can buy at autozone.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...estruction.jpg

Pretty unsafe.

~Stealth

Abolish the act of 1871 Lincolnmania's Avatar

i'm thinking nuts not tight enough.......you really gotta crank down on them

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1989 crown vic gt sedan 5.0 HO sold back to richduty455
    1991 lincoln mark VII bill blass (mini me)
    1992 mercury grand marquis, 5.0 HO conversion sold to 86vickylx
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

Hmmm.... I'll try that again, but last time I cranked it down the nut was basically clearing the cotter pin

"Clearing the cotter pin?" You tighten that baby down with all your might (impact) and then tighten it a bit more if the cotter pin doesn't have a slot to pop through.

Alex.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthlead View Post
    Hmmm.... I'll try that again, but last time I cranked it down the nut was basically clearing the cotter pin
    You're gonna have to crank on it more, keep going lol. Those ball joints are nowhere near tight as they should be.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

If it's that bad, and the nut goes that far down, something is f'd.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons.

http://zombiestig.us

I post a lot...

something probably got bent or worn away the first time it wasn't done right and now stuff's not going to line up.

85 4 door 351 CV - 160KMs stock and with issues... 4BBL swap and other goodies in the spring...next spring

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (current daily)

V8, American Made, RWD alchemist's Avatar

Ball joint, tie rod ends, idler arms and the like are press fit joints, meaning that to do it right, you need a tool (homemade is fine - i use a modified C-clamp) that puts pressure (i.e clamps together) on the two joints while you tighten the nut. If you don't, often you will see the ball stud rotate, while you are tightening the nut. So in essence, you are not tightening anything! Ball joints are often tightened to some reasonably high torque values. For the uppers - 80-120 ft. lbs. For the lowers, 60-90 ft. lbs. (this is spec, per factory service manual, for 1990 CV). I would go to the middle of the range on each.
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

If the ball is spinning, the joint is bad, replace it.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

and if the nut is cranking down so far that the cotter pin is above the towers on the castle nut, either the stud on the ball joint is undersized, or the spindle hole is enlarged or both. Either way, its no good and both parts probably should be replaced. Normally the cotter pin hole lands just above the notches in the castle nut, meaning it just barely fits in there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Getting the castle nuts "snug"? Get your hands on a torque wrench and learn how to use it!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Quote Originally Posted by 1987cp View Post
    Getting the castle nuts "snug"? Get your hands on a torque wrench and learn how to use it!
    I should have clarified. I made sure the cotter pin was 'snug' against the castle nut I.E no room to play/fall out etc. The nut itself is very well torqued down.

These are new lower ball joints (few months old) and there is no visual damage to my lower control arms that would point to an enlarged entrance for the ball joint. I'm certain that I didn't torque them down quite enough though. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Stealthlead; 07-28-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Yeah, I recall pulling pretty hard on the torque wrench to reach the 120 ft-lbs or whatever the spec was. I remember wondering if I'd set it too high or if it were forgetting to click. Then I ended up popping the balljoint looks a couple of times extra just to get the cotter pin hole lined up nicely.

As I think I saw pointed out already, the clamping force against the tapered balljoint stud will be well in excess of the minimum required to keep the stud from rotating inside the spindle. At least, it is when properly installed - I've never tried installing one improperly.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 07-29-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Land of the Greasy Hair and Orange Biyatches

I need a special tool to install the tie rod ends? Or is this the same tool that I would use to install the ball joints?

Packman
    Bop your head and stomp your feet!
    Droppin' it nicely, droppin' it neat!

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    I need a special tool to install the tie rod ends? Or is this the same tool that I would use to install the ball joints?

Packman
    Special tool to install the tie rods? Um, no. Installing the ball joints in the lower control arm involves a balljoint press. Bolting the joints up is a matter of the correct size wrench, and leverage. Same goes for the tie rod ends

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthlead View Post
    I've found that a lot of replacement ball joints and tie rod ends have shorter castle nuts that go past the cotter pin hole. I keep a box of assorted castle nuts around...along with larger cotter pins...biggest ones that will go through the hole. You might need to get some different castle nuts.