PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranks, no spark, coil not firing.

Go take a bath! Go milk your goat! Piece-it pete's Avatar

Default Cranks, no spark, coil not firing.

1985 Lincoln Town Car, EEC-IV, no mods....

The coil has power to both wires in 'run' and 'start', but no spark outbound. Dizzy is turning.

I've already swapped 3 JY modules, 2 JY coils and installed a complete new distributor.

I did read past threads on this. Gadget mentions testing the 'I' terminal on the starter relay, and CP mentions power to the ignition box. CP also mentioned in the working on thread that it may have something to do with the ignition switch.

I realise both coils could be bad. I've got a new one inbound, not a waste anyway. Heck all three modules could be bad for that matter.

So, in light of the above, could it still be the fixes mentioned? Or does having power to both at all times mean it's something else?

Need to get it fixed to get to SF!

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Everyone wants to drive a sofa down the road, they just don't know it yet.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

have you tried manually grounding the coil to the battery and see if it fires then? if its a duraspark car ive heard of the ballast wire going and youll see power at the coil with the key on but when you try to start it it wont go cause of too much resistance in that wire

I'll try it! What's the ballast wire?

Pete

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Piece-it pete View Post
    I'll try it! What's the ballast wire?

Pete
    First off, this is not Duraspark. And I do not believe there is a ballast wire. I'd be leaning towards the TFI module in the distributor, or the pickup inside the distributor. But since you've already tried that...

As always, check your grounds. Especially the one on the negative battery cable. Does the fuel pump run? Check your connections to the coil, and to the TFI module.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

My screen name is GREEN, Bitches ! 88grandmarq's Avatar

check for trouble codes... then check the ignition switch, they are notorious for failing.

2006 F-250 XLT SuperCab 4wd - 6.0L Deezal, 5R110W Auto, 3.73 limited slip.
    Retired US Border Patrol Unit# K60012

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Do you have +12v at the coil while the engine is cranking? If so, there is no problem with the I terminal on the starter relay. If you have power with the key on, but not when cranking, then start chasing stuff from the relay out to wherever that ties in.

Also, the obvious, but have you verified that the wires aren't broken right at the coil? I've seen those break inside the insulation right there at the crimp.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Yeah, we already talked about the igntion switch briefly in WAYWO. Very important to make sure the ignition module is getting power whilst cranking before going blaming any other parts.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Quote Originally Posted by 1987cp View Post
    Yeah, we already talked about the igntion switch briefly in WAYWO. Very important to make sure the ignition module is getting power whilst cranking before going blaming any other parts.
    Well, here's a thought then, to check this, put the key in run, and jump the S and the Batt terminals on the starter solenoid, if the ignition switch is the issue, the car should start.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

Many thanks for the advice. Still not running....

1st I checked power at the starter solenoid post I. Yep.

Checked the the fuel pump, which I hadn't 'cause it wasn't getting a spark. Silly me, the fuel pump relay is not getting trigger power! Fuel pump power in is fine.

So I ran to the parts store and got a continuity tester, checked the ignition switch, it tested fine.

My problem is - I really don't know what I'm doing Never really tracked down electrical problems before. Kinda interesting, but would be more so if the darn thing started!

I've got the ele & vac manual for it but am uncertain which way the power comes in. I'm looking at wire 361 R / fuel pump relay / wire 97 T/LG D (see attached). What should I do next?

Pete

eec4-1.pdf eec4-2.pdf

Whoops, forgot to mention - Key on engine off diagnostic test - no codes.

Pete

Did you check the computer ground at the negative battery terminal? If that fell off/rotted off or whatever, it won't run.

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

Think of it this way, it's either a ground problem, or the EEC relay. Since the EEC relay supplies power to ALL of that stuff. And look where the EEC relay grounds to...

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

I'm going to check that ground but it better be good - I just replaced that wire recently. Hmm, maybe I screwed it up...

The manual dosn't have the EEC relay location. Is that the relay next to the fuel pump relay?

Pete

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

That's where it lives in my car but it's a few years newer.
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom mobile - 3.0 Duratec - Daily Driver/Beater/Hauler of parts and contraband

Quote Originally Posted by Piece-it pete View Post
    I'm going to check that ground but it better be good - I just replaced that wire recently. Hmm, maybe I screwed it up...

The manual dosn't have the EEC relay location. Is that the relay next to the fuel pump relay?

Pete
    That's correct sir. The plug on the relay should be a brown color. Fuel pump is green.

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

Thanks! So I'm getting closer. I found in the book where it says 'rear of RH fender' with no illustration.

Didn't have a lot of time last nite, had the grandkid, but I did putz around a little.

I'm getting main power and trigger power at both relays (fuel and eec) but nothing out. Sure seems like a fried component or bad ground!

When I get a chance I'm going to attempt to trace wires. I did notice that the EGR soleniod seems to have weak power out, the wires in to that assembly are ugly anyway so I'll head up to the JY and pull the whole thing off a pretty clean engine compartment MGM.

I'll keep showing my ignorance, er I mean posting my experience and asking questions as events warrant.

Pete

Ground wires on the back of the fender on the passenger side, on a bracket. Small wires, with green colored bolts. 7mm or 1/4" iirc. Though that's not the main ground.

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

Quote Originally Posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Well, here's a thought then, to check this, put the key in run, and jump the S and the Batt terminals on the starter solenoid, if the ignition switch is the issue, the car should start.
    Except that the extra terminal is never used for anything .....
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Quote Originally Posted by 1987cp View Post
    Except that the extra terminal is never used for anything .....
    What extra terminal?
    The S terminal is what activates the solenoid.

Vicky
    Blue
    Mods So Far:

I've checked most grounds under the hood. The only one I haven't seen is next to the drivers' horn, have to remove the wiper washer resevoir to check it.

I suspect I've got a broken wire or bad electrical bit that's keeping the circuit open. I'm sure with another 100 manhours I'll find it

On my 85 there's a wire coming off both little terminals on the soleniod. Perhaps it's a CFI thing.

Pete

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast