No announcement yet.

Cranks, no spark, coil not firing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! So I'm getting closer. I found in the book where it says 'rear of RH fender' with no illustration.

Didn't have a lot of time last nite, had the grandkid, but I did putz around a little.

I'm getting main power and trigger power at both relays (fuel and eec) but nothing out. Sure seems like a fried component or bad ground!

When I get a chance I'm going to attempt to trace wires. I did notice that the EGR soleniod seems to have weak power out, the wires in to that assembly are ugly anyway so I'll head up to the JY and pull the whole thing off a pretty clean engine compartment MGM.

I'll keep showing my ignorance, er I mean posting my experience and asking questions as events warrant.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Ground wires on the back of the fender on the passenger side, on a bracket. Small wires, with green colored bolts. 7mm or 1/4" iirc. Though that's not the main ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Well, here's a thought then, to check this, put the key in run, and jump the S and the Batt terminals on the starter solenoid, if the ignition switch is the issue, the car should start.
        Except that the extra terminal is never used for anything .....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          What extra terminal?
          The S terminal is what activates the solenoid.

Comment

I've checked most grounds under the hood. The only one I haven't seen is next to the drivers' horn, have to remove the wiper washer resevoir to check it.

I suspect I've got a broken wire or bad electrical bit that's keeping the circuit open. I'm sure with another 100 manhours I'll find it

On my 85 there's a wire coming off both little terminals on the soleniod. Perhaps it's a CFI thing.

Pete
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

did you look for mouse damage?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

except on CFI and Duraspark vehicles. Ignition power comes from there while the engine is cranking.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  except on CFI and Duraspark vehicles. Ignition power comes from there while the engine is cranking.
                  Funny you should say that, it makes sense why my old harness killed computers. It had a wire attached to that terminal...

Comment

your 86 harness had an I wire ? new one on me.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes sir, it does. I'll look at the remnants and see if I can find where that wire went.

Comment

well, if it went to the stock locations, it really has nothing to do with the ecm. it only feeds power to the coil. the single wire stuff has a tap off the S circuit wire and a diode to power the ignition when cranking. The older ones that use the I terminal are electrically the same but the diode is inside the starter relay instead of in a rubber blob in the wiring harness. Now if the wire wasn't stock and went to some strange location, who knows.

Comment

well, if it went to the stock locations, it really has nothing to do with the ecm. it only feeds power to the coil. the single wire stuff has a tap off the S circuit wire and a diode to power the ignition when cranking. The older ones that use the I terminal are electrically the same but the diode is inside the starter relay instead of in a rubber blob in the wiring harness. Now if the wire wasn't stock and went to some strange location, who knows.
                          Also, when I first had it, the starter solenoid was the old style...

Comment

OK, I poked around for rodent damage, nothing obvious. Good for the mouse too, I would've caught that bastid and dropped him off at a gay massage parlor lol.

I really haven't had a chunk of time for this last couple days. I should be hitting the problem Sat am and hopefully report some good news.

Pete

Comment

Maybe some Duraspark vehicles ... mine that came with DSII had nothing on the extra post. I can't comment on CFI, though. Is the idea that the extra post is just connected to the other one, so that when the starter is energized the extra post can be used to automatically do something else?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Maybe some Duraspark vehicles ... mine that came with DSII had nothing on the extra post. I can't comment on CFI, though. Is the idea that the extra post is just connected to the other one, so that when the starter is energized the extra post can be used to automatically do something else?
                                Yeah, it's like a double throw relay basically. When the solenoid is energized, both of those terminals (the one going to the starter, and the 'I' terminal) will both have power.

Comment

Working...
                                X