50mph car shakes bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50mph car shakes bad

My 88 Lincoln will shake embarrassingly bad at 50mph. It shakes in my seat and steering wheel not bad but noticeable and as for the car itself it shakes like crazy. If I let of the gas then the shake goes away, if I hard accelerate the shake also hose away or a least subsides substantially. I notice a very,very mild shake at 70mph but I'm sure that is just the road itself. I replaced the drive shaft and it seemed to go away 2 years ago, but after this bad ice storm this last winter it has slowly seemed to get worse.the trans has 10,000 original miles on it as I bought it from a 89 GMQ that was totaled 6months after it was bought and has set ever since. The tires have all been balanced also. Could the TQ be going bad!!!! If so is there a better one I can replace it with? Is there a way to confirm this is the problem?

Sounds like U joints if it stops when you let off the gas.

89 Grand Marquis transmission isn't the correct one either. Its about an inch and a half too short. The driveshaft will not have full engagement on the output shaft of the transmission. This might cause the shake. At a minimum, I'd expect a too-short transmission to have the output shaft bushing wear quicker because its not properly supporting the shaft.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You're pissing off the driveshaft with your short transmission. Put the right trans in or get a custom driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        You're pissing off the driveshaft with your short transmission. Put the right trans in or get a custom driveshaft.
        :hairraise:
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
        X