1990 Grand Marquis No Turn Signals and A/C is warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Grand Marquis No Turn Signals and A/C is warm

Yesterday afternoon I realize I did not have turn signal indicators, but do have Emergency Flashers. Relplaced the flasher in the fuse box this morning. No change. Cannot find a fuse box diagram. Did find a 15 amp fuse blown (fuse 5) replaced it. No change. I do have lights. The wipers work, the high beam works. Not sure where else to look without a manual.

The A/C his not cooling much. The clutch does not stay energized for very long, seems less than 30 seconds then cycles. I can jumper the clutch to stay on. It does cool down some but Normal is coller than Max? Any ideas?

Your help is apprecieated.

If the clutch does not engage longer then what you are experiencing you are low on refrigerant.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hi I like FE

Fuse 5 is for the turn signals it also does the A/C are you sure that fuse was blown or didn't blow again ?

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

If the clutch is cycling quickly, it sounds like the system is low on refrigerant. Don't jump the pressure switch to force it to run if thats the case.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This morning I checked fuse 5, It is still good. Now what I need to do is check at the switch for voltage. Not sure where the wiring goes. Any one have a wiring diaghram?

Dereck thanks for the fuse panel lay out.

Gadget, I tried to add R134a a couple of weeks ago. It did nit seem to take any.

Thank for your help.

Comment

FIXED Turn Signals

A couple of minutes ago I realized that I changed to flasher and reinstalled the original flasher before I found the fuse was bad. I took the original flasher back out and replaced it with the second flasher.

I now works.

Thanks for all you help.

Now to get the A/C to cool more than about 5 degrees below incoming air temp.

Comment

Recharge the system. Still have R12 in it?

Comment

R 134

I had it converted to R134 2 years ago, a few months after I got it.

About 6 weeks later it quit, I took it back and they replaced the pressure switch. Charged me parts only.

Comment

Originally posted by I Like FE View Post
                  I had it converted to R134 2 years ago, a few months after I got it.

About 6 weeks later it quit, I took it back and they replaced the pressure switch. Charged me parts only.
                  6 weeks, yeah, it's leaking. Check around the compressor clutch, if you see any dampness, that's probably where your problem is. Have a shop hook up a sniffer or put some leak detector in there to find where the stuff is leaking.

Comment

Do shops working on A/C systems not verify whether they're leaking before charging them? Oh wait, I know they don't, because the shop that once let $120 worth of freon leak out of a vehicle of mine said I'd have to pay them to pressure check it instead of just randomly replacing the O rings like they'd done in the first place.

As for the turn signals, I had some quit working a year ago for a really dumb reason - the blinker connectors inside the fuse panel had gotten loose! I ran the blinker jerryrigged for a year out of laziness, then when I felt like it I pulled the connectors out and bent the springy contact bits back tight. Hooked everything up like stock again and it works fine.

Still probably want to make sure the multifunction switch is good, though.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Do shops working on A/C systems not verify whether they're leaking before charging them? Oh wait, I know they don't, because the shop that once let $120 worth of freon leak out of a vehicle of mine said I'd have to pay them to pressure check it instead of just randomly replacing the O rings like they'd done in the first place.

As for the turn signals, I had some quit working a year ago for a really dumb reason - the blinker connectors inside the fuse panel had gotten loose! I ran the blinker jerryrigged for a year out of laziness, then when I felt like it I pulled the connectors out and bent the springy contact bits back tight. Hooked everything up like stock again and it works fine.

Still probably want to make sure the multifunction switch is good, though.
                      He fixed the turn signals. The flasher blew the fuse.

Comment

Oops, blame the supershort monitor on the Dell Mini. Still, who knows who else'll have the silly terminals get wonky.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                        X