A/C O-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C O-rings

Last night I adjusted the air-gap of the A/C clutch on the '94 MGM and it cycles on and off now, so I bought some freon to put in it, but it also has a slow leak and I wanted to change the O-rings, so I bought an O-ring kit and an orifice tube, but I was wondering how many (which) of the O-rings can be replaced without completely diss assembling the A/C? I want to get this job started ASAP so quick replys are appreciated.

PS: I have a vacuum pump, so evacuation/pulling a vacuum are taken care of.
    Last edited by eightball200; 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM.

Originally posted by eightball200 View Post
    Last night I adjusted the air-gap of the A/C clutch on the '94 MGM and it cycles on and off now, so I bought some freon to put in it, but it also has a slow leak and I wanted to change the O-rings, so I bought an O-ring kit and an orifice tube, but I was wondering how many (which) of the O-rings can be replaced without completely diss assembling the A/C? I want to get this job started ASAP so quick replys are appreciated.

PS: I have a vacuum pump, so evacuation/pulling a vacuum are taken care of.
    Um, the pressure switch oring on the drier after you remove the switch from the drier. That's about it...

Get a new drier, as opening the system will pretty much expose it to moisture and ruin the dessicant bag inside.

Lube the orings with the oil that is used in the ac system. Not sure if that's ester oil or pag.

For the orifice tube, save yourself a potential headache and rent the tool to remove it properly.

Do you have a gauge on that vacuum pump? To see if it's holding a vacuum?

Comment

I guess what I meant was "which o-rings can be replaced without diss assembling anything but the A/C?" I know that pretty much all of the hoses will have to come off to replace the rings. Will I need to remove the compressor? Where can I rent the tool to remove the orifice tube? It doesn't just pull out?
      In answer to your question, I do have a set of gauges for the A/C, I will need to get oil and a new drier though...

Comment

I guess what I meant was "which o-rings can be replaced without diss assembling anything but the A/C?" I know that pretty much all of the hoses will have to come off to replace the rings. Will I need to remove the compressor? Where can I rent the tool to remove the orifice tube? It doesn't just pull out?
        In answer to your question, I do have a set of gauges for the A/C, I will need to get oil and a new drier though...
        For the puller, most auto parts stores nowaday offer a tool loan program, you basically buy the tool, and return it and get your money back when you're done with it. Autozone definitely does this. I think Napa does too.
        You should be able to access all o rings without having to disassemble anything else besides the AC. And that's good. Make sure after you do it that the vacuum holds for at least 1/2 hour. Ford recommends 45 minutes. The longer it holds, the better it is.

Comment

Sounds good. I just read somewhere that advance/autozone orifice tubes/accumulators were no good. I got my o-tube at napa today, and my easiest choices for accumulator will be auto zone or OEM, but I really don't want to spend a fortune on OEM, so what are your thoughts on the advance auto accumulators? Is the o-tube I got alright to use?

Comment

I have an accumulator and orifice tube from a local place. They're Four Seasons brand. Most of the big box stores use Four Seasons or Everco or one of the other big names. SHould be no problem. The orifice tube is slightly more critical but honestly those are so damn simple its hard to screw it up. The drier isn't quite as important if you get a good hard vacuum on the system. its there to absorb moisture, but if you get the vacuum really good it will boil out the moisture so there won't be much to worry about absorbing. You want at least 28 inches of vacuum though, and even there the boiling point is nearly 100F. 29 inches is 76 degrees.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I live in Florida. I'm not sure how strong this vacuum pump is, but f it can get 28 inches, I should be golden. The closeest store to me is an advance auto, they carry "tough one" and what I'm assuming is their own brand (just says "factory" def. not OEM though) Which should I go with? Should I try a different store and try to go with four seasons?

Comment

Went with the "factory air" accumulator (made by four seasons), but couldn't get the orifice tube installer/puller. Anyone had any success with needle nose pliers? I've read that it can work, and I don't imagine installation will be too difficult just because I don't have a special stick, I'll probably just use a screwdriver or something...

Comment

it works sometimes, but they are often a bitch to get out of there. Don't scratch the inside of the evaporator though, or you won't get the liquid line to seal in there. That area that you'd be hitting with a screwdriver or pliers is what the O ring seals against, and aluminum is not very hard to damage.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Went with the "factory air" accumulator (made by four seasons), but couldn't get the orifice tube installer/puller. Anyone had any success with needle nose pliers? I've read that it can work, and I don't imagine installation will be too difficult just because I don't have a special stick, I'll probably just use a screwdriver or something...
                    Not me, I've broken a few orifice tubes and had to drill them out. Which is why I suggested getting the puller. No Autozone by you mang?

Comment

Closest one is about 30 minutes out. Advance is only 10, but I'll be out closer to autozone tomorrow, guess I'll see if I can get the puller there. Is there any reason for me to get the installer? Kinda looks like a metal stick with some rubber on it to me. Will it actually make anything easier?

Edit: Nevermind, not seeing the same tool as I did before. I'm assuming this is what I need: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
                      Any trick to reinstalling the thing? just push it back as far as it goes or what?
                      Last edited by eightball200; 08-04-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Lube the orings first with the oil, then yeah, basically push it back until it can't go any further. It will hit a point where it can't go any further. That's the tool. That blue rubber thing comes off, and you'll look at the inside and you'll see how the tool fits on the orifice tube.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll try to do the repair tomorrow if I have time. One more thing though: how much PAG goes in the accumulator before I install it? Sorry to ask so many questions but my haynes manual is for "lincoln RWD '70-98" or something like that, so a lot of the info is pretty close, but doesn't have more specific things like that. Honestly I don't know why this manual even exists. Such a broad range of models over a really long period of time... :/

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll try to do the repair tomorrow if I have time. One more thing though: how much PAG goes in the accumulator before I install it? Sorry to ask so many questions but my haynes manual is for "lincoln RWD '70-98" or something like that, so a lot of the info is pretty close, but doesn't have more specific things like that. Honestly I don't know why this manual even exists. Such a broad range of models over a really long period of time... :/
                            To my knowledge, none. Oil goes in compressor, about 4 ounces, condensor 2, evaporator, 2.

Comment

dont use PAG unless the system is completely flushed. it is not compatible with the original mineral oil that the R12 system would have used. If its not fully flushed, use ester oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X