A/C O-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    dont use PAG unless the system is completely flushed. it is not compatible with the original mineral oil that the R12 system would have used. If its not fully flushed, use ester oil.
    x2
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 08-06-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Still haven't had time to work on the a/c much, but today I broke out the gauge kit (harbor freight POS, I believe) just to take some measurements. Had a bit of trouble with the fittings on it, got the low side fitting to go on with a bit of wiggling, but when I tried to put the high side on it broke the valve. Now if I take the cap off it slowly releases gas (I can hear it hissing).

Here's the thing though; It was built in '94 (post r12 ban, correct?) and seems to be a factory r134a setup, (doesn't appear to be one of the retrofit kits sold at advance anyway) so to the best of my knowledge the valve itself can't be replaced (kinda looks similar to a retrofit, but the valve doesn't have a "bolt head" type of shape)

Supposing I can get it off with a pair of pliers, can I even get the individual part, or would I have to buy the whole hose? If the retrofit valve fits, would it work? (I already have one that never made it onto my last car)

Comment

Originally posted by eightball200 View Post
        Still haven't had time to work on the a/c much, but today I broke out the gauge kit (harbor freight POS, I believe) just to take some measurements. Had a bit of trouble with the fittings on it, got the low side fitting to go on with a bit of wiggling, but when I tried to put the high side on it broke the valve. Now if I take the cap off it slowly releases gas (I can hear it hissing).

Here's the thing though; It was built in '94 (post r12 ban, correct?) and seems to be a factory r134a setup, (doesn't appear to be one of the retrofit kits sold at advance anyway) so to the best of my knowledge the valve itself can't be replaced (kinda looks similar to a retrofit, but the valve doesn't have a "bolt head" type of shape)

Supposing I can get it off with a pair of pliers, can I even get the individual part, or would I have to buy the whole hose? If the retrofit valve fits, would it work? (I already have one that never made it onto my last car)
        Some are originally R134a. Especially if late 94 model. Leave the valves alone. You don't need to change them. You can hook up the gauges and such still.

You probably pushed the schrader valve on the high side off center so now it's leaking.

You should be able to replace the valve inside by using a valve stem insert puller, or really small needle nose pliers or something along those lines.

Comment

OK. I think I need to use some other gauges tho, these don't even appear to fit on the high side >:-[. Any idea how much the valve is at the dealer? Checked at napa today and they couldn't find it.

Anyway, I just found out I have access to a heating/air manual (haynes). This one has lots of info, procedures, and capacities for may different vehicles (up to '99). Quite detailed. If anyone wants a specific bit of info, tell me and I'll see what I can find. It's the least I could do for all the help you guys are giving me.

Comment

my HF 134a gauges fit OK, but they definitely aren't the best quality.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmmm. The ones I have take a bit of wiggling to fit the low side and won't go on the high side at all. Tried it on a retrofit valve I had laying around and doesn't fit that either. Just doesn't seat all the way. Is there anywhere that sells JUST the fittings? I really don't want to have to buy a whole new set.

Comment

Working...
              X