just a couple of questions when scanning codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a couple of questions when scanning codes

I hooked up my code reader to my 88 gm today and theres a couple of codes that came up that I have questions on. One was code 12 that said cannot control rpm during self-test high rpm check. Does anyone know exactly what this means? And the other was code 33 which was EGR valve opening not detected. Would these be serious issues and what would all be involved in getting these fixed?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12 is usually a bad idle air control valve

33 is usually a broken vacuum line somewhere in the egr plumbing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Would the bad IAC cause it to idle weird? Lately when I start it in the mornings it'll idle high and will also surge for a few seconds and then will go down to normal. Also, it will surge at idle after the engine being warm and ran for a while.

Comment

Code list is here; http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-trouble-codes

Scott is correct, code 12 is usually a faulty IAC or ISC motor... replace it.

code 33 could be a broken vacuum line or a faulty EVR solenoid.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88mercgrandmarq View Post
          Would the bad IAC cause it to idle weird? Lately when I start it in the mornings it'll idle high and will also surge for a few seconds and then will go down to normal. Also, it will surge at idle after the engine being warm and ran for a while.
          Yep, it will cause that... Replace it.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I went out over my lunch hour and drove the car around some and got it up to operating temp, I unplugged the IAC connector and the car stalled instantly. I figured since it stalled like that it should still be working or could it still be bad? And could you tell me what an ISC motor is? And I checked all the vacuum lines under the hood and they looked fine and everything was plugged in right.
            This car has been nothing but a headache this past few days haha

Comment

ISC = idle speed control - just another of the many names for IAC. Idle air bypass valve is another one. Throttle bypass valve etc etc

It sounds like the IAC problem might be intermittent. I'd replace it with a Motorcraft (junkyard ones have proven to be better than new cheapie ones)

It would be a good idea to clean it (and the throttle body) before you install the replacement.

Other things to look at regarding the cold start idle - coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

thanks I'll see if I can get one tomorrow and see what happens!!

Comment

i was thinking back to this problem i had earlier this month and when i was digging through my tool box in school today i found another egr valve off a different 5.0. I thought what the heck and put this one of my car to see what would happen. I disconnected the battery while changing the valve to clear the codes, and when I started her back up I connected my code reader and got the following codes- code 12 went away completely, code 33 went away also but code 34 came up about the evp sensor, I had the other evp sensor from the old valve yet so i put that on, then code 34 went away but 33 came back on!!! also my code 91 for running lean came back and also code number 41 came back for running lean. This is driving me up a wall!!!! Does anyone have any ideas??

Comment

Pull the IAC, clean it. It's probably full of oil. 33 is broken vacuum line most likely.

Comment

earlier this year I had the car hooked up to a smoke machine to find vacuum leaks and I fixed the ones that were there and all the lines on the look to be in good shape yet. Would a dirty IAC really cause this many problems?

Comment

earlier this year I had the car hooked up to a smoke machine to find vacuum leaks and I fixed the ones that were there and all the lines on the look to be in good shape yet. Would a dirty IAC really cause this many problems?
                        Yes. And you can't smoke test things that are closed when the car isn't running. Green line.

Comment

For the IAC, don't buy Duralast from AutoZone. I would frankly clean yours first before buying anythiing. Look up discussions on how to do it at any of the 5.0 Mustang forums, they're all talking about this all the time. YES, all of these 302 cars will idle HORRIBLY with a bad IAC, take it from a Mk7 guy, I went through a bunch of um until I found one that worked. One stupid little bolt-on part, but what a difference. Remember - aftermarket IACs these days mostly suck, so my solution actually proved to be a used IAC that just turned out to be good.

I'd hit the yards if cleaning yours doesn't solve it and grab like a dozen of um, then try them all cleaning each one then disconnecting the battery each time for about 30 mins to reset the PCM, until you find one that doesn't idle like crap. Mostly likely it won't code 12 either.

For code 33, in my case it was the EGR solenoid. If you have no vacuum leaks, try replacing that. I got an AutoZone Duralast solenoid on my car and it works fine.

Good luck!
                          Last edited by Phoenix; 09-02-2011, 11:09 PM.
                          No Panthers yet (coming soon, I'm sure). A Mark VII owner, in some uncertain future a MkVII+Box Panther owner.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            you can't smoke test things that are closed when the car isn't running. Green line.

Pure Genius !

Comment

Working...
                            X