Exhaust suggestions - stock/HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
    eeeeh you got yourself into a headache i see, i would get the other headers first. 2d why get headers with an o2 sensor, the offroad pipes that have them are uesally a better and easier placement for sure. i need to get some pics of my shtuff and post it up.
    Pypes said the HDR52S would absolutely not fit. I told them exactly what kind of car it is, engine specs, etc. The guy sounded like he had no doubt in his mind =\ I really think I'm going to just opt to grind it down a bit, I'm pretty sure doing so won't affect much.
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
      Pypes said the HDR52S would absolutely not fit. I told them exactly what kind of car it is, engine specs, etc. The guy sounded like he had no doubt in his mind =\ I really think I'm going to just opt to grind it down a bit, I'm pretty sure doing so won't affect much.
      i did reccomend bbk headers originally, as far as grinding, long as you dont grind into the bolt you should be ok, that hole is used for something but cant remember what
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

grind away mang. ive had to do the sides and some top portions of a th400 and it was perfectly fine.
        1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
        1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
          grind away mang. ive had to do the sides and some top portions of a th400 and it was perfectly fine.
          Great to hear! Thanks!

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
          i did reccomend bbk headers originally, as far as grinding, long as you dont grind into the bolt you should be ok, that hole is used for something but cant remember what
          Damnit Zoomie, I know you've been waiting for me to say this...

You were right >.<
          1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

You shouldn't have to grind shit to make headers fit. Get different headers. I wouldn't want to fuck with the AOD case at all.

Comment

I should go look at my DD stock '91 with the electrical gremlins out there in the driveway to see wtf is up with that ear, but it's dark and probably cold and I'm lazy. I dunno if the headers are actually physically touching anything, I know on mine they aren't (without a transmission in it), and like I said, I can actually get my fingers back in between that driver-side header and the block (without the tranny in it yet).
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks!

Damnit Zoomie, I know you've been waiting for me to say this...

You were right >.<
                lol gimme a ring bud 716-450-9779
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I AM DONE WITH THESE HEADERS. Words cannot express my anger right now. Allow me to elaborate.

It has been one thing after another with these nightmare headers. First problem was them contacting the transmission. Okay, I can understand a little modification. I wasn't looking forward to grinding my tranny a bit, but I can understand it.

Next thing is these HORRIBLE allen wrench bolts that BARELY go in. Pretty annoying right now, but still dealable on the driver side.

Now I'm starting to get pissed. They provided me with extended bolts for the brackets which hold the dipstick tube and smog pump tube connection. However, these bolts are the wrong size! They do not fit the blocks threading and contact the headers themselves!

And now this:

As you can see, there is NO way to get that f***ing bolt in without A.) Grinding down the headers a bit which would result in a hole in the headers or B.) Stripping the block. I am not going to do either. This is where I draw the line. I will contact my seller and explain the situation, and Pypes as well. I am ONE unhappy customer.

Please let me know of some headers that I can buy that will be a direct fit. I need to get headers in this car and get it running, its been out of commission for over two weeks.

~Stealth

Comment

Please let me know of some headers that I can buy that will be a direct fit. I need to get headers in this car and get it running, its been out of commission for over two weeks.

~Stealth
                    I used stock Mustang headers on the '91 wagon. the h-pipe is a mustang unit w/the front cats removed for clearance.

The '87 wagon has bbk 1515's & a Pypes X pipe w/high flow cats.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

BBK 1515 is what I'll probably go with so long as they bolt directly up and don't hit the trans or anything stupid like that. I should have listened to zoomie in the first place lol

Comment

BBK 1515 is what I'll probably go with so long as they bolt directly up and don't hit the trans or anything stupid like that. I should have listened to zoomie in the first place lol
                        BBK is the way to go. I had no fitment issues with them. They're expensive, but worth the lack of installation hassle. I am sorry you had to deal with that and learn the hard way. Kinda like the Pacesetters I got for Putter Project. It was two years after I got them when I realized they had a bad rep for failing.

Packman

Comment

Stock shorty headers fit just fine with a mustang or mark vii h pipe.

Comment

If you want to run the stock downpipes for now, apparently your only option besides stock manifolds are 90 Town Car manifolds which are in-between stock and Mustang manifolds. I'm gonna get a set for mine so I don't have to replace the downpipes and cats until I upgrade the engine.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Pre cats on the h-pipe. Will hit the trans. Go offroad or aftermarket w\cats closer to the crossover.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                                Pre cats on the h-pipe. Will hit the trans. Go offroad or aftermarket w\cats closer to the crossover.
                                No they don't I have them on my engine and they do not hit the trans... I have an original H pipe off an '89 Mark VII. The front most cats DO NOT contact the transmission at all. Think about it, if this shit hit the AOD in a fox from the factory, they probably wouldn't have done it...

Comment

Working...
                                X