Exhaust suggestions - stock/HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    :lol: Says the guy who says he gets in big trouble if the local cops think he has anything non-stock on his car at all.

Actually, I've got nothing against clean exhaust, or running cats if you want to, I just don't want government idiots mandating a certain piece of equipment before you can drive your car on the street. And emissions laws in NW Indiana (where I grew up) seem to be responsible for the scrapping of any number of perfectly operable vehicles, which as I understand it is bad for the environment. But anywhoo. /end{rant}
    I do have a problem with aspects of the Cali emission laws that require specific parts.

If it passes a sniffer, that should be it. If you can do it with a rednecked system, more power to you.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Couple things -

First, write your local lawmakers and ask them to repeal your local emissions/inspection laws. Though, I find it weird that you'd be allowed to not run tailpipes if emissions testing is required.
      LOL!
      Couple things -
      Second, don't be surprised if you get lousy low-RPM resonance with a full 2.5" system. Resonance can seriously abuse your ears even if the exhaust note itself is very quiet. Some guys claim they have no resonance, but I think they're just deaf. If you're already deaf, resonance probably won't bother you. If you're not deaf, consider adding some sort of resonators to the tailpipes.

Third, guys need to remember that Maremont 339221 midpipes do the midpipe job without the extra bit of pipe the Mustang midpipes require. They're kink-bent, but I doubt that's usually a big deal. Extra bits of swaged exhaust tubing can be easily obtained from your favorite local parts emporium, or order them from wherever seems convenient.
      I am not deaf and I have not read about any resonance related issues in these forums so thank you for bringing that to my attention. How would I go about installing a resonator system?

About the midpipes, where would I find what your talking about?

After doing some research I found purple hornies are awesome but way to loud for my application. I use my car on a daily basis around a suburban area and have (at the moment) good relations with my neighbors (besides the girl next door ;s).

I am planning to keep both cats as I still need to pass emissions. I'd much rather go with a cat back system anyways.

My build is still up in the air I suppose, I'm still debating what kind of mufflers to go with. :l
      1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

14" case Magnaflows are on my vic and they sound great. You can sneak home at 4 AM if you have a light foot since these cars can usually putt around town barely above idle. They get throaty when you get above 2k
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          If you can do it with a rednecked system, more power to you.
          that'll work here in Texas. my 88 is proof.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
            LOL!

I am not deaf and I have not read about any resonance related issues in these forums so thank you for bringing that to my attention. How would I go about installing a resonator system?

About the midpipes, where would I find what your talking about?

After doing some research I found purple hornies are awesome but way to loud for my application. I use my car on a daily basis around a suburban area and have (at the moment) good relations with my neighbors (besides the girl next door ;s).

I am planning to keep both cats as I still need to pass emissions. I'd much rather go with a cat back system anyways.

My build is still up in the air I suppose, I'm still debating what kind of mufflers to go with. :l
            Have you ever watched a vid called "The Sounds of Dynomax"? They threw several Tenneco mufflers on a big Chevy motor at a big meet and recorded the different sounds, and I found it pretty instructive. The upshot seemed to be: Super Turbos quiet, QuietFlows quieter. Granted, QuietFlows are slightly pricy at near $100 each, and I was only able to located on PN in the right configuration for 2.5" in/out. Thrush Turbos were a bit louder, IIRC. Also look into getting economy replacement mufflers in your choice of configuration - I've been using a pair I got for under $20 each, and they keep things acceptably inoffensive. Mine are 2.5" in and 2.25" out, but I have a set of 2.25" tailpipes someone else had custom-bent, and I've found that for my needs the smaller tailpipes don't really require resonators, so it's all good.

There are various options for tailpipe resonators. The cheap and simple fix seems to be to add a short glasspack somewhere along the tailpipe, but I've seen interesting pics where guys built fancy resonator tubes tuned to approximately the resonant frequency of the tailpipe. Purpose-designed "resonators" seem to always be very expensive for some reason.

If by "cat back" you mean something that bolts conveniently to your stock cats, you'll have some fabrication to do. Usual solution around here involves Mustang parts up front and Chevy parts out back. We've got suggested lists of part numbers posted in various locations.
            Last edited by 1987cp; 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Have you ever watched a vid called "The Sounds of Dynomax"? They threw several Tenneco mufflers on a big Chevy motor at a big meet and recorded the different sounds, and I found it pretty instructive. The upshot seemed to be: Super Turbos quiet, QuietFlows quieter. Granted, QuietFlows are slightly pricy at near $100 each, and I was only able to located on PN in the right configuration for 2.5" in/out. Thrush Turbos were a bit louder, IIRC. Also look into getting economy replacement mufflers in your choice of configuration - I've been using a pair I got for under $20 each, and they keep things acceptably inoffensive. Mine are 2.5" in and 2.25" out, but I have a set of 2.25" tailpipes someone else had custom-bent, and I've found that for my needs the smaller tailpipes don't really require resonators, so it's all good.

There are various options for tailpipe resonators. The cheap and simple fix seems to be to add a short glasspack somewhere along the tailpipe, but I've seen interesting pics where guys built fancy resonator tubes tuned to approximately the resonant frequency of the tailpipe. Purpose-designed "resonators" seem to always be very expensive for some reason.

If by "cat back" you mean something that bolts conveniently to your stock cats, you'll have some fabrication to do. Usual solution around here involves Mustang parts up front and Chevy parts out back. We've got suggested lists of part numbers posted in various locations.
              Thanks for the response but I am thoroughly confused in a few areas lol >.< I am going to try my best to sound like an idiot but I honestly am not understanding this all so bear with me please...

So let me get this straight... H-pipe+cats>extension>Mufflers>glasspack>Tailpipes>t ips+exit, am I understanding this configuration correctly?
              Also, your saying not to really get an actual resonator at all. Your saying to just put in a glass pack somewhere along the lines and this will save the resonance problem? I like that idea if that's what you mean.

Just to clarify I DO want loud, head turning, growly exhaust. I DO want two cats. I want my exhaust to be as big as I can get it without creating back pressure with my stock setup, and I want it to work with a bigger engine I will undoubtedly install in the distant future. I DO want it to be within legal regulations (Which I'm not really worried about cuz there are loud civics, nissans etc. all over the place) and I DO want it to visibly exit a bit past the rear bumper. I thought the tailpipes visibly exiting was referred to as 'cat back' system but I may have been misusing this term accidentally. As stated earlier, my setup will be professionally welded by a friend.

I watched a few dynomax vids, they have a very nice sound to them as well, I was not disappointed.

Thanks for the help!!

~Stealth
              1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

mufflers/glasspacks same location... different option. Other than that... you have the gist of the arrangement. Resonators aren't needed if you don't make a perfect setup (make one side a little different in length or muffler positions... but put it together first and check for resonance before trying to off-set things... most the time quieter stuff and flow through (non-baffled) stuff won't resonate much if at all on these cars)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So glass packs will basically eliminate the resonance issue as I understand. What about cherry bombs?

And where can I find Maremont 339221 midpipes

Comment

my cars border line too loud with walker mufflers. loud enough to where i probably piss off a few neighbors every night.
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

the magnaflows on my cars aren't loud at all. the 88 just can't get loud period. The 93... well... after it comes back from scott... it may be louder, but you had to rev it up pretty good to get it to be real loud. just cruisin into the driveway it's not loud enough to upset anyone... unless they're sleeping outside. I live on a major street though... lots of traffic and noise anyhow... so YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        the magnaflows on my cars aren't loud at all. the 88 just can't get loud period. The 93... well... after it comes back from scott... it may be louder, but you had to rev it up pretty good to get it to be real loud. just cruisin into the driveway it's not loud enough to upset anyone... unless they're sleeping outside. I live on a major street though... lots of traffic and noise anyhow... so YMMV
                        I have magnaflows on the Vic's exhaust now, and it's great!I
                        If you want loud, magnaflows aren't really the way to go. Unless you really get on it, then they're kinda loud. The flowmasters I had on the car were obnoxiously loud. And it didn't help that there were turn downs right after the mufflers.
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

also check into thrush welded mufflers i have them on my car and they give it a nice sound and get very aggressive when romped on but at cruising speed it sounds very good.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I can't wait until Scott gets the new engine in my vic... I want an exhaust vid once it's working

that car sounds nice.

Comment

Any glasspack testimonies?

Comment

Sure I have glasspacks on the Linc cherrybombs too! But how rappy you want theExhaust will depend on the length of the pack short one are rappier and louder where as longer onesWill be low grumble and talk when you get on it. Currently I have31 inch glasspacks they sound decent just ask the scottfest attendees lol
                                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                                X