No announcement yet.

Exhaust suggestions - stock/HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, longer mufflers mean smoother for a given type.

Try youtubing combos you like. Keep in mind cam, piping size, and presence of cats make big differences.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Alright how about this combo:
      BBK equal length ceramic shorties>BBK H-pipe (or diff brand H?)>since no one has linked a good crossmember between the cat's/mufflers, I guess I will get a custom 2.5' pipe made that will go here?>2x 2.5', 26' length cherrybomb glasspack's here outlet/outlet I assume> some kind of pipes? I have no idea where to find these to be honest.. little help would be appreciated. And when you say impala you mean the chevy...?>some kind of tips if it doesn't come with the pipes

this is the glasspack im talking about
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMM-87516/

I am still thoroughly confused about the pipes between the glasspack and the end of the car/bumper/exit and about the mid pipes
      Last edited by Stealthlead; 09-05-2011, 02:09 AM.
      1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I guess I'll throw in my 1 cent. I got Mustang 86-93 shorty headers and cat'd H-pipe. Right behind the H-pipe I got cut-outs. Then I got a Heartthrob '94-'96 catback minus mufflers. I bought Summit welded muffs (offset/offset) because the rep at Heartthrob said the muffs have some sound. Unfortunately, one of the Summit muffs rotted from the inside out since installed 4 years ago. I replaced it with a Dynomax Super Turbo and it is a little quieter than the Summit muff (the Summit muffs are not loud). If at some point you want quiet, get the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos. They are really good at quieting down the exhaust, but they're longer than most other muffs. Though, this is on a lopo; dunno what it would sound like on something with grunt to it.

Packman

Comment

Where did you get the cat back and what model did you buy it under to fit our boxes?
          1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Stainless steel exhaust ftmfw!

Comment

Sorry for the late response. The catback is a Heartthrob (I think they deal with JC Whitney) system for '94-'96 Chevy Caprice/Impala. I bought the whole system because I figured I would need extra piping to finish the job. I ended up cutting the bends out one of the mid pipes for that system. There is a slight S-bend and a larger S-bend on each end of the mid pipes. I found that they (the S-bends) place the pipes in line with the stock location of the mufflers on the CV. All I needed to do was cut the right length of 2.5" piping to place the outlet of the muffler at the stock location (so I can use the hangers). A local auto parts store had 2-hole flanges and the collector ends to connect the mid pipes to the H-pipe. That is the essentials of my exhaust build. The cutouts take up some extra space. My father also made some hangers for the tranny crossmember. They consist of regular exhaust clamps and pieces of the u-bolts from the old clamps welded onto them to form a place or perch to clamp the H-pipe to. If your friends know how to weld, this should be a breeze for them to do. I spent a total of $900 in the end. A little pricey, but it worked, and if I need to completely replace the exhaust, I have the extra bends to do it. You might be able to get somebody to bend up some pipes for less $$$. Around here in NJ, they charge a bit more than in other areas. The problem with the Mustang components is that they're a bit more narrow than the Panther chassis components. The H-pipe tends to hug the AOD which puts it lower on the CV/MGM/TC. My system bends downwards at the H-pipe giving little ground clearance. The cats scrape on steep driveways and speed humps if care is not taken. One day, I hope to build a set of long tube headers and fit some better pipes. One day though. *sigh*

Packman

Comment

This was how my exhaust is set up. I have since replaced the flowtech glasspacks with magnaflow round mufflers. With the glasspacks it was LOUD!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                  Sorry for the late response. The catback is a Heartthrob (I think they deal with JC Whitney) system for '94-'96 Chevy Caprice/Impala. I bought the whole system because I figured I would need extra piping to finish the job. I ended up cutting the bends out one of the mid pipes for that system. There is a slight S-bend and a larger S-bend on each end of the mid pipes. I found that they (the S-bends) place the pipes in line with the stock location of the mufflers on the CV. All I needed to do was cut the right length of 2.5" piping to place the outlet of the muffler at the stock location (so I can use the hangers). A local auto parts store had 2-hole flanges and the collector ends to connect the mid pipes to the H-pipe. That is the essentials of my exhaust build. The cutouts take up some extra space. My father also made some hangers for the tranny crossmember. They consist of regular exhaust clamps and pieces of the u-bolts from the old clamps welded onto them to form a place or perch to clamp the H-pipe to. If your friends know how to weld, this should be a breeze for them to do. I spent a total of $900 in the end. A little pricey, but it worked, and if I need to completely replace the exhaust, I have the extra bends to do it. You might be able to get somebody to bend up some pipes for less $$$. Around here in NJ, they charge a bit more than in other areas. The problem with the Mustang components is that they're a bit more narrow than the Panther chassis components. The H-pipe tends to hug the AOD which puts it lower on the CV/MGM/TC. My system bends downwards at the H-pipe giving little ground clearance. The cats scrape on steep driveways and speed humps if care is not taken. One day, I hope to build a set of long tube headers and fit some better pipes. One day though. *sigh*
                  Packman
                  Thank you for the response! I do plan to replace my entire exhaust system (Mine is very old and rusted badly from Utah). What kind of H-pipe do you have that makes it so you have so little clearance? I might be able to get someone to custom bend me a mid section but I don't know anyone that could right now....maybe buying the entire kit like what you did is my best bet? :s

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                  This was how my exhaust is set up. I have since replaced the flowtech glasspacks with magnaflow round mufflers. With the glasspacks it was LOUD!
                  That is AWESOME!!! O.O!! What kind of system did you buy to exit like that after the mufflers? How loud was the flowtech glasspack? Would you set off car alarms? I'm wondering because I'm pretty set with my sights on cherry bombs... not A video I haven't seen where I didn't like them! Also, can you pass emissions with a setup like that? I still have to have my cats AND pass emissions next year, and I believe I have to have the sniffers too... would it be legal?

On a side note my oil pan started leaking pretty bad today. :l Since I'm going to pull the manifolds off in the probably near future to get to the fkn oil pan, would it be a good idea to put the shorties in now with my stock exhaust?
                  Last edited by Stealthlead; 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm using shorties and a mustang off road h-pipe. (2.5") The Flowtech Redhots were 2.5" inlet and outlet, 3.5" case. 24" overall length with 18" case. The muffler shop did all the work after the h-pipe. After the glasspacks I went with 2 1/4 inch pipes to give more clearance for the side exhaust. No cats so it will not pass emission (not done where I live). Never set off any alarms, but it probably would. It turned heads, but was a little too loud for me to feel comfortable driving it on the street. That's why i went with magnaflows. You're stock exhaust will not bolt to the headers, they are too small. You would have to get muffler shop to install 2.5" flared additions to connect the stock exhaust to the headers.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                      I'm using shorties and a mustang off road h-pipe. (2.5") The Flowtech Redhots were 2.5" inlet and outlet, 3.5" case. 24" overall length with 18" case. The muffler shop did all the work after the h-pipe. After the glasspacks I went with 2 1/4 inch pipes to give more clearance for the side exhaust. No cats so it will not pass emission (not done where I live). Never set off any alarms, but it probably would. It turned heads, but was a little too loud for me to feel comfortable driving it on the street. That's why i went with magnaflows. You're stock exhaust will not bolt to the headers, they are too small. You would have to get muffler shop to install 2.5" flared additions to connect the stock exhaust to the headers.
                      I see. Thanks for the informative reply. I don't really want to get my pipes done by a shop, and it would be nice if I could get everything I needed and weld it together..

@Packman; is this what you have
                      http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Exhaust-System

Woot! I think I figured out what everyone is talking about
                      http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/2009496p.html
                      Kits like that and then just a 2.5' mid pipe and I'm good to go if I'm not mistaken
                      Last edited by Stealthlead; 09-07-2011, 02:31 AM.

Comment

BBK shorty headers and matching H-pipe (mine has cats) for '86-'93 Mustang (bought from Summit Racing). And the aforementioned catback for '94-'96 Chevy Impala from Heartthrob exhaust (ordered from JC Whitney).

Packman

Comment

Alright cool. This is what i'm thinking: bbk shorties+hpipe>midsection>30' cherry bombs>impala tails

Will my mid pipes between cats/glasspack need to have a bit of an S bend and if so, how much? Also, with 30' mufflers how long will the extensions need to be?

Comment

uh... I'm not sure you can fit 30 inch mufflers between the end of a Mustang-style H-pipe and the bend for the rear axle. I have 18 inch case mufflers and there MIGHT be another 12 inches between it and the h-pipe, and you do need to have about a 2 inch jog in that pipe.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I don't know the measurements offhand. You'll have to crawl under your car or have the exhaust shop determine that.

Packman

Comment

Sorry to necro, but I didn't want to start an entire new post and I'm just about ready to go through with this and have a few more questions. I just passed emissions for two years (did better than two years ago) so I don't think this should be a problem emission wise, or noise wise. I'd like to keep this project as cheap as I can where I can afford it. I have a friend who will weld the system for me. This system is going in what is mainly a stock car, but is being converted over to HO during the summer, if that makes a difference. I still want 2.5' throughout.

My first question is the equal length shorties vs standard ones.
                                http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Length-Headers
                                ^those are the equal length's and are nearly $400 (seems ridiculous). Is equal length REALLY necessary or should I just go with some used standard length shorties? Also does it matter if they are ceramic, stainless steel or chrome plated much? I would love some ebay links or w/e.

For the H-pipe am I best off just buying an entire new system like this or better of scouting around for a used H pipe system
                                http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Shorty-Headers
                                seems expensive for around $400, but that's with new cats, which I DO need in my state (AZ). Mine are pretty old, and most likely a bit clogged.

For the mid pipes earlier on in this thread1897cp mentioned Maremont 339221 pipes, but I returned with almost no search results for those. I guess I'll just go with Flowtech pipes mentioned earlier with a bit of custom extension? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-53609FLT/
                                Or maybe these would work better? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ube-Flange-Kit

For the glass pack I assume the inlet and outlet are both 2.5' (planning on 2.5' system throughout) and I'm thinking around 28' overall length, unless that is absolutely too long. Earlier in this thread Zoomie said he has 31' cherry bombs in his, and as I understand the longer the glasspack, the deeper the sound.

This is where things get a little hazy... after the glasspack I need it to exit over the rear axle, through the rear (cat back). A few people said they got the entire impala tailpipe kit like this; http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Exhaust-System
                                But it doesn't seem like I need that ENTIRE kit. Couldn't I just buy the single pipe that goes from the glasspack and exits through the rear like this and save $200?
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-46468...sories&vxp=mtr

After the rear pipes I'll add a small bit of piping to get it to visibly exit straight through the back and put on some kind of exhaust tips, I'm not too concerned about that.

Few other questions I have; once all the parts are collected, how long should the entire swap take? Will I need to drop the rear axle if I do it the way I am planning?

Any other advice/stuff I'm missing is appreciated. Thanks for all of the help so far guys!

~Stealth

Comment

Working...
                                X