throttle weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle weirdness

I drove the 90 today for the first time in 3 weeks to a month...the throttle cable does not move smoothly. It goes down just a bit (maybe 1/8 throttle) with very little effort, then it becomes much harder to push down and consequently I'm jamming my foot to the floor when I'm just trying to pull away from a stop.

throttle blade is not gummed up, can't see any restrictions anywhere and it can be felt either through the pedal or when i open/close the throttle manually from under the hood.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

so the throttle under the hood doesn't open smoothly either? try unhooking the throttle cable from the throttle body and putting a dab of grease in there. do the same for the TV cable at the transmission where it snaps onto the ball stud. if that gets rusty, things won't work smoothly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

will do. thanks!
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ah, I think it's the TV cable at the TB end of things. It is causing it to get hung up.

The adjustment block doesn't seem to be holding the actual cable in place, so when you press the pedal there is not much resistance until the block hits the metal end piece, which then actuates the cable. Damn. Basically drove like my TV pressure was maxed out, shifts way late etc so I'm not too worried that I fucked the transmission up.

Need a new TV cable before I do much else though.
        Last edited by 1990LTD; 08-25-2011, 11:51 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

ummm yeah if the adjuster block is sliding on the cable, its shot. Is the lock pushed up? theres a tab that pokes out of the bottom of the block to lock it to the cable.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            ummm yeah if the adjuster block is sliding on the cable, its shot. Is the lock pushed up? theres a tab that pokes out of the bottom of the block to lock it to the cable.
            yep and yep. pushed the little tab out and locked it back in, it's still possible to move it. it doesn't move/slide around freely but when force is applied there is play. this makes 2 TV cables that I've gone through. I have my original one that DID work fine but the "clevis" that sticks through the throttle lever snapped off. too bad i couldn't cannibalize them.

do I need a Panther specific TV cable? If a Mustang or truck/van AOD cable would work, possibilities would open up.
            sigpic

Comment

you could redneck it like I did...

That's a small hose clamp and some rubber fuel line, I had on hand, with a slit cut down it to get it over the rod without having to slide it over that metal cable cap.
              Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

and redneck it, I shall! until I find a replacement cable. I've got plenty of hose clamps and fuel hose
                sigpic

Comment

p.s - thanks very much gadget and slymer. I think I'm going to need about 4 hands to do this - I never usually have an assistant to push the pedal down for me.
                  sigpic

Comment

just make small adjustments and drive around the block.... repeat until it feels right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Now I have something to do tomorrow thanks man.
                      sigpic

Comment

I had a thought....while I'm messing about, rednecking my TV cable so the pressure is right, I don't want to fuck up my transmission by having the pressure too low. I know if it's off, it's better to be on the high side of normal as opposed to low, so I'm not too worried about that part of it.

I'm only going to take it out around the block but if it seems to be shifting too early - I know AODs can burn up within blocks with little/no TV pressure - Should I just lock it in first gear and get back to the driveway as slow as possible?
                        sigpic

Comment

go as slow as possible if the pressure is low. If you want a good safe starting point, have someone hold the pedal to the floor, and adjust the cable so the TV pressure is maxed out with the throttle wide open. Thats as high as it can possibly go. Adjust from that point if you need to.
                          Last edited by gadget73; 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X