My 1983 Lincoln Mark VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems

1. Glovebox is stuck. Is prying it open with a screwdriver the only option? I don't want to destroy it...
    2. Front license plate bracket can't be installed until a seized bolt is removed. I'll have a shop deal with this because I don't have the proper tools or patience.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Pull the cover off the front of the latch(where the key goes in) and start busting it apart. That way you dont destroy the catch, on the other side. The little cast parts inside usually wear out and break.

For the bumper bolt, get a big pair of of vice grips on each side, and try to snap it off.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I have unscrewed the hinge at the bottom of the glove box. Moving the glove box door around usually allows it to become unstuck.
        If you have to use a tool, do not use a screwdriver as you can ruin it. A plastic trim removal tool is better.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
          Pull the cover off the front of the latch(where the key goes in) and start busting it apart. That way you dont destroy the catch, on the other side. The little cast parts inside usually wear out and break.

For the bumper bolt, get a big pair of of vice grips on each side, and try to snap it off.
          I already destroyed mine due this problem. The original latch and its replacement died in the unlocked
          position. Then the 3rd latch died while it was locked. Marred the latch mounting hole up trying to remove the 3rd latch. Currently closed with a wood screw. I might patch the hole up with silver tape and put the MSD ignition box in there semi-permanently. I wish I had the forethought of gettng the glove compartment door off of the JY '86 Country Squire.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            Pull the cover off the front of the latch(where the key goes in) and start busting it apart.
            Bust the black plastic around the key hole?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              I have unscrewed the hinge at the bottom of the glove box. Moving the glove box door around usually allows it to become unstuck.
              If you have to use a tool, do not use a screwdriver as you can ruin it. A plastic trim removal tool is better.
              I tried your method but the glove box door wouldn't give no matter how much I moved it around...I took the cover off that surrounds the keyhole, as marquisman suggested. I then used a screwdriver to move the latch around until it finally gave up. Now I'll need a new latch. Took me almost an hour for this job...
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That is one of the good things here. If one person's suggestion does not work, someone will have a suggestion that will. Sounds like that latch gave you a real fight.

Comment

It's the same latch on 80-86 Ford trucks. I have a truck one in my car, it's been replaced at least four times so far in the last eight years.
                  I'll have a look around here and see if I can find one for you.
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can also get a donor latch and rebuild the one you have if just the arms scissor arms broke. That's what I did with my car. I found a cheap latch that was missing it's key. I took it apart and moved its scissor arms into my original latch.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

would be nice if we could source stamped versions instead of cast pieces.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                        scissor arms broke.
                        One scissor arm broke. I saved all the parts from the latch assembly and put them in an envelope.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

waiting is the hardest part...

A few people have said they would look around for a glove box latch. No word back...In other news: the starter solenoid died. I already have a replacement. Made in surprise, surprise. Rear springs are on back order. After they arrive, I'll make an appt to get the inspection done.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Got the new solenoid put on this evening, then discovered the battery was dead...The cause must've been the small bulb inside the dash where the glove box latches. Pulled that out for now. Got my step-bro to give me a boost.
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Rear springs are on back order. After they arrive, I'll make an appt to get the inspection done.
                              I picked up the rear springs last Friday. I'll have those installed during the inspection, in addition to shocks which the shop can provide.
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The inspection will be done this Wednesday.
                                '79 Continental Town Car
                                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X