Chasing a miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing a miss

Trying to get my vic ready for the track but have started chasing a miss. Pulled all the plugs, all looked good except #8. #8 Had a bent tip and a cracked insulator (detonation). Must have happened on my first full track nitrous run when i was still tuning, it started to ping and i quickly killed the nitrous. I replaced that plug and started the car but still has a miss, especially noticeable coming off idle. Checked the distributor to see if it was loose and went out of time, but was okay. Cap and rotor was okay. I figure it maybe bad fuel or time to replace the plug wires. Used the same ones from the previous engine, and cant remember how old they are (at least 3yrs and have seen lots of racing and revs). I'm leaning toward the plug wires despite no obvious damage. They are Ford Racing 9mm. What do ya think?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Could be. Start the car after dark and see if they glow. If they do, its a pretty fair indication they are done for. Check the cap and rotor too, they often get scaly. Probably worth pulling the coil wire to make sure its not crusty on the coil tower. For some reason they made the contact on the TFI coil out of aluminum and it corrodes. if you have an older style round coil, those have brass contacts that seldom give problems.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X